Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trademe.co.nz vs. Craigslist.org

Default Trademe.co.nz vs. Craigslist.org

Hi there:

Does anyone know why people in NZ don't use craigslist.org much? It is much simpler to use in my opinion.

I live in the UK, and I'd never heard of Craigslist till I saw Americans on this forum mentioning it.

The cost of shipping purchases may have something to do with it. I've bought from the US via Amazon and eBay, and the P&P is not fun - also, you get nabbed for customs dues when the items are imported.

According to Wikipedia Trademe launched in NZ years before Craigslist spread there, hence it's dominant position in the Kiwi market. As above, being from the UK then Craigslist isn't that popular / well known.

I suspect that this is just one of many things that you'll have to get used to ;-), illogical as they may seem.

TradeMe was there first and unlike eBay in the US wasn't almost totally useless for unloading lower cost items--which in the US is mainly what craigslist is good for. In the US if you want to use eBay it is very difficult to sell anything locally, sell anything unless you run a store for that type of item, and know the tricks for listing your item properly. IMO eBay is very marginally useful in the US. Hence the growing popularity of craigslist.

I find TradeMe a combination of the best aspects of craigslist and eBay.

It's fairly obvious to me that the prevalence of TradeMe has in other ways altered the secondhand culture in NZ.

I don't think anyone in the world uses craigslist like the US does.

I've had a look at Craigslist once and thought it was rubbish so didn't look again.

Nobody outside of the US uses it anyway.

I still remember buying LOOT in the UK - an actual newspaper sized listings, can you imagine that now? or is it still going?

Yep, still going. So's Exchange and Mart.

*feels nostalgic*

Quote Originally Posted by dusk View Post
    I still remember buying LOOT in the UK - an actual newspaper sized listings, can you imagine that now? or is it still going?
    I remember the newspaper version too but they have an online version which is fairly popular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast