As winter is definitely upon us I thought we could all share our woodburning / firewood tips. Even after quite a few winters we're still learning so it might be handy to share...

1. Woodburners run best at maximum capacity. Running a woodburner "damped down" or at low heats (with smoke out chimney) will quickly block your flue.

2. Wood burns best placed north/south in the firebox. It burns longer east/west.

3. Top down is, imho, the easiest and fastest way to start a fire. I was skeptical until I tried it and now it's the only way we do it... easy peasy.

4. Knotted newspaper makes excellent firelighters.

5. Never, ever burn wet wood - that includes rain-wet. It's the fast-track way to a chimney fire.

6. If your woodburner glass goes black, you're not burning the fire hot enough. The fire should clear the glass at the optimum temperature.

7. The easiest and cheapest way to keep your woodburner glass clean is to use the cold grey ashes on a piece of dampened tissue - dip damp tissue in the ashes in the firebox and rub glass with it - wipe off - voila!

8. Clean the flue/chimney regularly - especially if you haven't been using totally dry/seasoned firewood or have been damping it down. Before you use it and after are best times, and if the draw lessens on the fire you should also have it checked. Get a receipt from the sweep - this helps for any insurance claims you may need to make in the case of a chimney fire.

There must be heaps more!

Moorf