Thread: Diploma in Teaching

Default Diploma in Teaching

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post. I am about to start a one year Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (level 5) following doing a HND in Interactive Media. On completion, I will be able to teach +16yr olds up to HND level.

I have not been able to find any reference to an equivalent to the DTLLS in NZ. I currently have 135 points but would like to squeeze in a few more to tip me over the magical 140 points.

Can anyone help on this?

Also, providing it is worth soimething, what do you think my chances would be of securing some level of employment prior to immigrating?

Cheers,

Stephen.

Sorry can't help with you queries but just wanted to say hello and welcome

Likewise. Welcome to the forum.

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome. I intend on sticking around here for a while.

(Probably longer than I should be doing in work!)

Anyway, is there anyone who could maybe direct me to where I may find my answer? Im kind of surprised nobody knows about the old CertEd system. If its useless in NZ then I won't bother doing it.

Cheers again.

Hi and welcome.
    You don't actually need 140 points. 140 points is the automatic selection threshold but if you have a qualification or experience on the long term skill shortage lists (or a job) you will generally be selected with over 100 points.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iselection.htm
    As you can see, at yesterdays selection all EOI's regardless of qualification or experience area were selected from 115 to 135 points.

Good luck!

We went through the PR process almost 5 years ago so things may have changed. I had an Honours Degree and CertEd and had been teaching in FE (16+) for approx 10 years. I could only claim for my degree not the CertEd as its not a true postgraduate qualification in the conventional Tertiary sense.

When I registered with the NZ Teachers Council it took ages as I had taken a 'non-standard' route to qualify as a teacher. Plus FE does not really exist here in its own entity so I was neither a secondary school teacher or a Tertiary lecturer according to NZ structures. The Teachers Council required me to send in loads of info down to Schemes of Work, Lesson Plans to prove what I actually did along with all the CertEd/D32/D33/D34 etc. course details. They eventually gave me registration effectively as a secondary school teacher. To work at a Tertiary level I would have required a standard PostGrad qual and varying other things.

In terms of points, our experience, (it was 5 years ago) was that the HND/Degree would be the maximum qual points you could get and in terms of work, register with the NZ teachers Council as soon as you can (on completiton of your course) as it must have taken 9 months so an implication on EOI/ITA and time dependent reports needed for your immigration application.

Thanks Catherine. I considered continuing with my studies to BA level but that would take another 2 years p/t, then with a PGCE another 2 years until I had NQT status. Basically, I can't stay here another 4 years or so, it will drive me insane!

I suppose even if it doesn't add to my points, I might still do the course as I will be waiting around for another year for my girlfriend to finish her course. Even if its a mission to get it recognised.

Thanks for the advice!