Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work permits...

Default Work permits...

...for teachers

(plan is to arrive on holiday visa and get a teaching job and get work permit and then apply for PR)

To get a work permit I know
    has to be accredited employer - assume that schools are?

Are there any conditions that are applied to getting a work permit?
    Primary teaching is currently on ISSL
    e.g.
    Does it have to be for a set duration of time?
    Does the job offer have to be for a permanant post or can it be for a temporary post?
    If temporary - how long does it have to be for?

Have assumed that you can't get a permit for supply (relief) teaching?

Is there any thing else that I should be considering that I haven't asked about (which is likely to be because I don't know about it)

Ta

Sorry if you've already mentioned this - but just in case you haven't noticed others saying so, do you realize you have some formalities to go through with the NZ authorities in order to be recognized as a fully qualified teacher, and therefore to get paid at the full rate? I don't remember details, but doing a Search should bring up threads where it's been gone over.

Thanks for pointing this out
    I've been NZQA'd and NZTC'd (Teaching Council) so have that in place already

One down, then!

Only a WTR has to be with an accredited employer. There is a minimum salary requirement with that visa of $55'000.

A normal work permit has to meet other criteria. Either be on one of the shortage lists, the employer is pre-approved to recruit from overseas or they can prove no suitable Kiwi could be found for the position.

I think both can be issued for 30 months.

As I understand it the 'popular/good' schools have a lot of applicants for jobs, therefore in order to satisfy the no New Zealander can do the job (not the you are the best for the job) you may be looking at the schools nobody wishes to work in. I found when I was looking for teaching jobs they were really not very keen if you had no legal entitlement to work in the country. Some places, once they saw you were in the process of applying for PR, were then prepared to read your CV as they could see you were more committed to NZ albeit on paper, others needed you to have that legal entitlement first. Near us there are often 200+ applications for 1 position!!!!!

Could you start the PR proceess asap and see if it comes through in time to avoid the need for a work permit?

Not enough points for PR hence the arriving on visitors visa
    Immigration Officer from NZ House has suggested to me that this is the way to go

Primary teaching is on ISSL which although gives no points it means that I have the same entitlement to a teaching job as a NZer or someone with PR - I think?

I'm registered to teach with NZTC which is a professional requirement

Thanks for replies so far

Does anyone know whether job offer for a work permit has to be permanant or can it be a temporary offer?

I think if you were offered temporary employment then your visa would only be issued for the duration of your contract. Not 100% sure about that though.

Thanks
    have spent quite a bit of time this afternoon ( in between thunder storms!) trawling through NZIS and TeachNZ sites for any info - and haven't found any
    BUT did come across a page on the London page of NZIS that said I have to pay £50 for visitors visa plus provide a passport photo.
    Haven't heard this mentioned before...has anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast