Thread: iPhone from US

Talking iPhone from US

Hi:

I just got an iPhone with AT&T. If I bring the iPhone to New Zealand, would it work? Which phone company would I have to go with?

Thanks!

You would need to have it unlocked first. As far as I know this is still a "hacking job". You might try registering with geekzone forums as they have a iPhone forum: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp

I've used an unlocked iphone (old model, not 3G) with a Vodafone prepaid SIM card, not sure if the new Telecom GSM network is compatable or not.

Default Thank you

Thank you very much!

You can't get it unlocked without some machine or device (so I have been told by a dozen techies) and the only place to get it done in NZ is Auckland. It would be easier to do in the US.
    We have 2 nice touch iPods with video(and camera) now since we can't get them unlocked.
    But you can send emails and photos on wifi.

I have encountered several kiwis with american iPhones (unlocked of course) so they will work here if you get it unlocked.

ok, i have 2 of them (2g and 3g) and can categorically tell you whatever you are promised that you can unlock a 2g iphone but not a 3g yet. dont confuse "jailbreaking" with unlocking as they are 2 different things. jailbreaking opens up the software to other apps (video camera etc) and unlocking obviously unlocks it.
    it took me a good 3 hours to do what is supposed to be a 5 minute job and strangely the software to unlock the iphone doesnt like working with macs but is fine with pc's when attempting to put the phone in DFU mode.
    any queries, please pm me.
    appleboy

Better yet, call ATT and tell them you are visiting NZ for vaccation and want to use the phone here. They might provide you with the unlocking code.

I did that when i left US permanently for India. Cingular gave me the code and i got the phone unlocked.