Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone ever got an upgrade going to nz?

Default has anyone ever got an upgrade going to nz?

i was just wondering if anyone had ever got an upgrade when the airline check-in desk knew you were immigrating to nz? several of our friends who are pilots/stewards have told us to ask........but don't want to make complete fools of ourselves at check-in!! I feel really cheeky even thinking about asking, let alone actually standing at the desk asking the question (hopeless or what!)

even a bit more luggage would be nice

you can only ask!

The worst thing they could say is no.

Give it a go, if they agree you'll be laughing

Ada

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...ee-upgrade#how

If you decide to be brave and ask, DON'T start off on a negative question like, 'I don't suppose there's the slightest hope you could upgrade us...?' The word 'don't' leads to a 'no'!

If you ask and they say 'no', there's nothing to be embarrassed about - all you do is say, 'Oh, okay,' and carry on as if nothing had happened. You've got just the same right to ask as anybody else.

yeah - feel free to ask if there's any upgrades avaialble
    when we checked in the couple in front of us in the queue were offered the upgrades without asking *tsk* - the premium economy seats are not up to much on the single level planes mind so we didn't feel so cheated once we boarded the plane

If travelling by yourself or as a couple you should always ask for an upgrade; the worst that will happen is that you get told "no".

My upgrade percentage sits at about 5% as a couple and around 40% flying by myself so I do it quite a lot when flying alone!

Main tricks are to ask (nicely), be dressed smartly (ie shirt and chinos rather than t-shirt and jeans) and to turn up as late as possible (the main reason for the low percentage with the OH is that she likes getting to the airport 3 hours before any flight)!

I've been upgraded to NZ from the Middle-East before - but only when I was younger and some of it may have been to do with the fact that, at the time, I had airline industry discounted tickets!

I was a lone parent travelling with 3 young children - didn't think my chances would have been very high at all

You'll have a much better chance of getting an upgrade if you're a member of the airlines frequent flyer scheme.
    How you dress has nothing to do with it whatsoever - I've got upgrades to Australia quite often, and always fly in my tracky bottoms and an old tshirt - comfort over style!

My brother just paid £300 for an upgrade out here, but when talking to him he was telling me that they are almost non existant these days free of charge, think he was told that by Air NZ but you can only ask, not going to hurt & think of the comfort if you do get one
    Good luck

Last year we flew to the UK for a wedding and I went first with our kids and my husband followed a few weeks later. We flew back home (to NZ) together and I was SOOO tempted to ask for a free upgrade- for just me!

So what if they think its cheeky, you will probably never see this person again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast