Thread: Half Container

Default Half Container

Hi guys

just a few questions if I may:

we've just had 2 companies come round today for quotes re moving all our stuff to Invercargill.

Both said we only had half a containers worth of stuff (which I kindof already knew) so my options are either to share a container with someone else or use a full container and keep half empty. Anyone have any experiences with either??

if we use half a container and someone else uses the other half (ie we share with someone) - I know it takes longer, that doesn't worry me but what does worry me are the following:

1) what if the other person has some stuff in their containter that is prohibited or is not cleaned properly etc and the container ends up getting MAF inspected and fumagated because of the stuff they have in their container (not ours) - who pays for that?? Do we have to share that cost too? Hope not!!

2) are our things more likely to get broken/lost/mixed up if we share a container with someone else

Any one have any positives or negatives of using half container. Can't decide (know it will be more expensive to have a whole container but really worried about my stuff, and I don't mean tables and chairs, I mean photo albums, my sons keepsakes, paintings, personal sentamental stuff)

I've just done some calcs and think I'll be a half container too. Shame we can't share! Can I be cheeky and ask what ballpark quote you were given? I've just booked pickfords for a pricing so far...

hi ya

we haven't had the full quote yet - that's coming via e-mail and we've only been quoted (roughly) by Anglo Pacific. The Crown guy wouldn't say until he'd calculated it propertly.

Anglo said a half container would be approx £2500 door to door.

Thank you

Hi, we went groupage with our belongings so I can shed a little light on this:

what happens is that all your stuff is packed up and wrapped up, then stored until it can be fitted into a container with someone elses stuff - everything is labelled and counted in and out.

Obviously there's a little more risk that things may get lost or damaged as the stuff will move from the back of the lorry to storage to a container and then out at the other end again, but if everything is packed well the risk of damage should be minimised

As for your fumigation/inspection question that's not something that will happen as when your container arrives it will be unloaded and unpacked into separate loads and MAF will go by your inventory as to what they want to inspect of your belongings, not by the whole container load

HTH

As an aside none of our stuff was damaged, although we did lose 1 small ornament stand somewhere, but we thing that was probably just not packed in the first place, so we did really well.
    Last edited by dusk; 11th June 2009 at 10:20 AM.

We did half a container with Crown (cost about £2550), took 8 weeks on the dot

We did half a container with John Mason. Paid about £2800 (including £440 insurance), took 4(!) months door-to-door and there was quite a lot of damage.

Cheers

Hila

dusk, do you mind if I ask who you used?