Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving within NZ

Question Moving within NZ

Has anybody moved within NZ? Within Auckland preferably but all info is helpful.

Roughly how much did it cost? Did you get a full packing service? Did you bother with insurance?

Or did you do it yourself?

We're looking at moving the contents of a 3 bed house.

Cheers

Tia
    Last edited by Tia Maria; 12th June 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Oh yes .... 8 times altogether. But 2 proper ones with movers. I packed myself each time. I used a local firm - Mr Shift It in Cambridge, they are brilliant for anyone in the Cambridge area. They charged $650 for a local move of a 4 bedroom house, I had packed very well. They covered the insurance. The second time was more expensive as half the stuff was going into storage, oh and I used them a 3rd time on the day we moved into the new house, but the stuff was coming from 2 places, so it was complicated again. Erm, it was $800 or thereabouts that time.

Hi Tia. Moving next week and we're paying $795 (into storage), and then another $795 to get out of storage. This is for a move of 5kms down the road in total. Packing costs are $350. Insurance not included - very, very expensive. I think out of memory about $650 for 100k of contents.

The other quote we had was $1800 for each move and $1k for the packing service.

Neither of the above are export packing quality which we were told would add another $1k. Basically the pack service is put the stuff in boxes and wrap the nice things in blankets.

When we moved from Havelock North into a rural area about 35mins away- I *think* we half packed and they half packed and it cost us an eye watering $900ish. The other moves we did ourselves. We moved with Conroys and I wouldn't recommend them on that experience.

I had quotes from three Auckland companies for packing and moving a three bed house- but a lot of our stuff was still packed from our shipping.

Smooth movers were recommended but couldn't do the day. I think they were about 80$ an hour for both packing and moving. Plus cost of packing materials.

Tiger removals- came out to quote and initially said something like $1100. This seemed to be the migrant rate and they reduced it to 900 something.

We used kiwi mover who charged $80 an hour plus materials for packing and moving. It cost about $900. They were okay but it was a somewhat horrific day....

Hope that helps.

Joolz

I've moved multiple times, and last time I used Tiger transport for a short move - literally about 500m up the road. They were good value and really helpful. I didn't have them pack, but they did help do things like dismantle my bedframe and unplumb and drain the washing machine.
    It's usually cheaper to move at the beginning of the week, rather than the end or at the weekend.

We've moved several times around Auckland now.....can very highly recommend the Smooth Movers.....would use them again any time They are owner run company, were quite a bit cheaper than other companies we got quotes from, very careful with our stuff, turned up on time and worked super hard with good attitude and were very patient with our nosey sprogs. They packed up the stuff we hadn't got boxes for too.

http://www.thesmoothmover.co.nz/

They charge by the hour and it's cheaper to move mid-week. Our first move cost less that $300 for a 4 bed house because most of our stuff was still packed up. It cost us more the second time we used them because we had less packed up and they dismantled some of our furniture and reassembled it for us.....and some things we asked them not to take apart and do a separate run in a second van, just to save us the hassle getting sorted that evening. I can't remember the actual cost now but it was somewhere around the $500 mark.

Sorry to butt in but just wanted to say thanks for this info.

In comparison to the UK these costs are good. I did a 200+mile move in the UK with a full packing service for a 3bed house and it was £2500. I had been wondering how much it would cost if we were to take furniture into a rental before we bought when we arrived and whether it would be cheaper to leave in store but it sounds like it can be done a lot more cheaply than it can in the UK so I may be able to take my furniture out sooner!

Thanks
    Mamee
    Last edited by Mamee & Co; 13th June 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks everyone, we'd been quoted $1200ish and I nearly fell off my chair, however, having spoken to a few locals it doesn't seem unusual.

I think I will check out some of the other guys you have recommended though.

If you packed yourself, did they provide the boxes or did you have to buy them?

If you bought them, where from and any ideas how much?

Cheers

Tia

We packed some stuff ourselves (DVD's, CD's, Books, kitchen cupboards etc).....boxes from supermarkets etc. Have a look on freeview as there are occasionally a load of boxes to be had there. Clothes we loaded into the boot of our car straight from the wardrobes on their hangers and transferred straight into new wardrobes the other end. The clothes in drawers stayed in the drawers for the move. A lot of toys just got put into plastic storage tubs, carrier bags etc and thrown in the gaps in the lorry, and some other odds and ends like the kettle, toaster, telephone etc we took in the car as we couldn't be bothered packing that sort of thing as we'd need straight away. The moving guys wrapped things like our TV's and stereo up very well in thick blankets for the move as we'd not packed them.....they were ever so careful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast