Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Australian permanent residents automatically granted PR in NZ?

Default Are Australian permanent residents automatically granted PR in NZ?

I read in some NZ immigration books that Australian citizens are automatically permitted to live in NZ indefinitely, without having to apply for permanent residence. One book implies that permanent residents of Australia can do the same thing. Is that true?

If someone doesn't get PR in NZ, can they try to get PR in Australia, and then immediately move to NZ, with no more paperwork?

Only Australian citizens can avail this facility, one normally gets Australian citizenship only after living in Australia for 2 years as Permanent Resident.
    So if you get Australian PR you would have to stay in Australia for atleast 2 years before you would be able to live and work in New Zealand while holding Australian passport.

Same holds true for New Zealand citizens also
    check this link out
    http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/nz-citizens/

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    I read in some NZ immigration books that Australian citizens are automatically permitted to live in NZ indefinitely, without having to apply for permanent residence. One book implies that permanent residents of Australia can do the same thing. Is that true?

If someone doesn't get PR in NZ, can they try to get PR in Australia, and then immediately move to NZ, with no more paperwork?

and I thought you have to stay for 5 years in Australia from the day you get PR, to get australian citizenship

maverickmonk- are you sure about that?

I'll come back to this thread after the school run but I think you're mistaken adn that Oz PR grants you a 'permit' at the NZ border, as does Oz citizenship. NZ citizenship grants you a similar permit at the OZ border but NZ PR does not- at least that's my understanding- back later.

nothing's ever that simple - to become an Australian citizen you have to apply after having been a permanent resident for four years* - as an Australian citizen you may live and work in NZ without requiring visas, but you must have lived in Australia for a certain period of time before you are eligble to apply for citizenship, so the answer to your question is no.

Conversely as a NZ permanent resident you must wait 5 years, then the citizenship application processs can take abouyt a year on top of that, so it's not an easy route to one country to go to the other first

(although the rules changed in 2007, so this may not be true for some people already in Australia on PR)

Actually, scrap that- I'm 99% CERTAIN that Oz PR grants you access to NZ at the border- check out wiki for a start

I agree with Kanga - Australian PR means you get PR automatically in NZ. My brother is in Australia (and now a citizen) and came over to visit me in NZ when still there on PR.
    He was given a NZ PR stamp in his passport when he entered the country at Auckland.

Yup looks like you're right Kanga, according to this, "People who hold current Australian permanent residence visas or current Australian resident return visas may be granted residence permits on arrival in New Zealand, provided they have not been excluded under section 7 of the Immigration Act 1987"

Interesting I didn't think that was the case..... Alhough Oz is generally harder to get into so I guess not really a back door into NZ

I stand corrected (the stuff about how to become a citizen still is correct I think, although slightly OT)

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    I agree with Kanga - Australian PR means you get PR automatically in NZ. My brother is in Australia (and now a citizen) and came over to visit me in NZ when still there on PR.
    He was given a NZ PR stamp in his passport when he entered the country at Auckland.
    The thing to bear in mind- and what I wanted to come back and look at again is that the NZ Operations manual says:

People who hold current Australian permanent residence visas or current Australian resident return visas may be granted residence permits on arrival in New Zealand,
    But what happens when your Oz Permanant Residence expires, which it will if you gain Oz PR and come straight to NZ (and I *think* you might need to activate it by coming through Oz- not sure about that bit)- I'm not sure how long the Resident Return visas that are initially granted with the OZ PR last. So, if anyone is considering getting Oz PR (which for some people *is* easier to get than NZ- depends on individuals) they need to look seriously at the following:

• Are you issued residence to NZ at the border or a permit?
    • If it's a permit does it expire when you leave NZ and (importantly) if you leave NZ at some date in the future after your Oz PR visa has expired (which it does after a period of time if you don't take up residence in Oz) are you then eligible for another NZ permit on re-entry to NZ

Obviously an INDEFINITE Oz PR visa or Oz citizenship would remedy that eventuality but that would be my concern with entering NZ with a Oz PR ALONE. I'll see if I can answer the questions myself ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast