Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Question Shoes

Is it just me, or are shoes amazingly expensive over here?

Hubby was looking for a pair of slip-on ones, plain & comfy, nothing spectacular - cheapest he could find was $90! I'd probably spend about $25 on something similar in M&S. Are we looking in the wrong place? (Farmers)

Decent quality shoes are a lot more expensive. There just isn't a large enough market for prices to be competitive. I'd meant to pick up a pair of sandals while I was overseas during the summer, but forgot so ended up buying them here. Not only were they double the price (exchange rate factored in), but they were also available in only one colour; salesman told me that they just don't have the population size to facilitate the variety.
    Unfortunate, but lesson learned ... buy shoes while on holiday (and clothes).

good quality shoes are tremendously dear - stock up when in blighty... I came back with 12 pairs and customs did want to open my bags!

yes, they are expensive in NZ

if u want a cheap and quite comfy flip-flops check out at the number1 shoe warehouse

$90 is a good price, for decent leather shoes you are generally looking at $150 -200 (even for sandals).

i would say that farmers is always expensive unless they have a sale on.

cheap shoes that will last a few months - number 1 shoes are great for these escpecially when they have buyone get one free offers.

persoanlly I brought a ton of shoes with me and Cj is living in one pair of expensive walking shoes from one of the shoe clinic places

.... and shoe repairs are expensive here too!

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    .... and shoe repairs are expensive here too!
    We've found the opposite here......most repairs (new soles etc) are almost the same price in $ as they were in £ so far cheaper.

Yep - I find shoe repairs here incredibly economical. My local store even gives a 6 months guarantee on the work done - so if your heel wears down or pulls off (both of which seem to happen to me frequently!) then they will repair again for free. Great service!
    I buy lots of shoes, and don't really think they are much more expensive than what I'd have paid in London for similar. You can get fantastic bargains in the sales too - I got an amazing pair of knee high leather riding boots for $150 at the weekend. Fantastic quality and really good leather. This was in a chain womenswear store. If you calculate cost per wear they're incredible value - far more so than some 'buy and throw' pair from No1Shoes or similar. I'm not keen on the disposable aspect of consumer goods, as I prefer to buy things to last from both an environmental aspect and because I only tend to buy things I like so want them to be durable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast