Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! - Scared of Flying

Default HELP!!! - Scared of Flying

Hi all

My partner and I will hopefully be flying to NZ in 4/6 weeks .

One problem, I am frightened of flying .

Has anyone got any tips on how I can relax etc or completely be out of it!!! We are flying via Singapore, so thats about 13 hours!!! (without a fag aswell ), we are having a stopover in Singaport for probably 10 hours to have a sleep and a shop , then back on a plane to Auckland!!!

I am totally excited about going to NZ it is just the flight that is worrying me at the moment

Jules

I went with my best friend on her first flight... she was TERRIFIED of flying - we flew from UK to Barbados.. she got some Valium from the doc and she was fine...

That's just my experience. I have to say, not sure on what the airline policies are on people taking medication onboard of that type... if Michelle was around I know she could tell you... might be they don't want a plane load of doped up passengers

Oh god yes, I am trying to not think about the flight with no fag

Thanks Moorf

We were looking in Asda yesterday for the patches, we couldnt believe the prices of them. They say they want people to stop smoking, why put a ridiculous price on these things!!!! We are going to sign up at our local doctors on the Stop Smoking Plan and get loads of patches free then put loads on before we get on the plane, then when we land in Singapore, go straight to the nearest smoking lounge and get a packet of 20 down us!!!!

What with Nicotine patches and Valium I should be ok

Jules

Good luck for tomorrow!!

LOL We said exactly the same when we got some gum the other day - it would cost us MORE to give up on those things!

Sandra, on this forum, told us of the terrace with sunflowers at Singapore where you can smoke outside rather than in an awful smokers box which is the only other alternative.

We gave up for an entire year last year until things conspired to totally stress us out and we reached for those wicked things... we gave up by using herbal tobacco from Holland and Barratt - granted the fags and backy tastes gross but then so does tobacco to a starter smoker, but you get used to it and it meant we had something burning in our hands whilst the nicotine was being flushed out and it really did make it easier to get out of the habit ..

Moorf, Jules

My neighbour flew to Melbourne this weekend. He has just landed, and was in a very packed plane in the middle. He took some over the counter sleeping pills, and they knocked him out for 7 hours London-SIngapore, and another 3 hours on the Melbourne leg. Said it was best flight he has ever done (he is aussie so does it a few times)

I'm planning the same.

re fear of flying...I think one-off doses of Valium are a good idea for before takeoff.. Just don't mix them then with alcohol

cheers alex

For heavens sake Jules don't forget the gin aswell.

Singapore Airlines are brilliant. Let the crew know you are worried, believe me they will do just about anything to make your journey as relaxing as possible. How to encourage a nervous passenger is part of their training.

Oh - I've just thought of a vital 4th ingredient ....... sleeping pills !!!

Best of luck - you'll be right.

Diny

If you don't want something off the doctor - could try Kalms a herbal remedy - but be warned turns your urine bright neon yellow!

Hello jules, fellow sufferer here!

Moorf is right, go to the Doc. He'll give you what they call beta-blockers, which may take the form of Diazapam. Stopped smoking a week ago but wouldn't recommend wearing a patch on medication without advice

Bad news is that everything the doctors have given me for flying take about an hour to kick in, because they only seem to work once you've started to react to being on the plane, well worth it though. Lay it on thick with the doc and he'll give you strong ones...they not only stop you reacting to every movement as if you were on a motorbike, you may even sleep

I have thought about a stiff drink before I get on the plane but I wont have time as I will be spending it on the loo :eek . Also I will be starving by the time I get to Singapore because I cant eat on planes

Thats nice to now about the cabin crew, they might end up slapping me tho to calm me down and that wont be good for their reputation

Jules

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast