Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Assembly...

Default School Assembly...

What a moving experience that was today. Our 6 year old son was participating in a topic based on Planets, but prior to events taking place the children, teachers AND attending parents all stood up and sang the NZ national anthem (Maori and English)... made me feel proud listening to our son joining in with it all

... never heard our national anthem being sang at our school when in the UK!!!

Same for my girls. Bought the biggest ball into my throat the first time, second time, third time, you get the picture DD2 even sings it around the house now. A week after DD1 started school we were sat having our tea when she sang a song she'd learnt with the words along the lines of New Zealand, my country (I can't remember the rest now), I was VERY emotional at that too.

At Anzac Parade the British national anthem was played and I asked my girls if they knew the words.....they didn't know the words and had never heard it played before. I find it quite sad that to be patriotic in the UK seems to be frowned upon.

Our son has his class assembly on friday next week, he tells me 'you have to come and see our item'........... cant wait!

He also sings the NZ national anthem, it is lovely and i have a lump in my throat each time.

Sharon
    x

It brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to my daughter's school here in Canada sing the Canadian National Anthem......I can't wait to hear both her and my son stand and sing the NZ anthem in school. I love it!

I have vague recollections of having to sing the British National Anthem in school somewhere????.................

I can totally relate to the pride you felt when they sing the New Zealand National Anthem, (especially when our children learn the Maori part).

When I was doing my student teacher assessment in a local kindy, we used to gather the little 'uns in a big circle on the mat at the end of the day, and we would all sing the NZ National Anthem.

It was soooooo sweet to watch these little children singing with great pride, and doing all the Haka actions as their proud parents watched on.

Oh I love a bit of good ol' honest patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    I have vague recollections of having to sing the British National Anthem in school somewhere????.................
    I did my 6th form years at Duke of Yorks Royal Military School in Dover and the national anthem was sung relatively regularly there....but I don't recall ever hearing it at any of my other schools in England or Germany.

Are you maybe remembering being in the Brownies/Guides? It was a requirement for some of their tests to know all the words of the National Anthem.

I can reassure you- it is not sung in Germany, well, the German National Anthem, that is...., and I can relate to the "big ball in the throat", that's what happened to me every time when they sing it.., which was either at the children's school or the "Big sing" in Dunedin.
    It is a very special thing, I guess!

... well here's to the next assembly, we think it's a great idea

Hi Meg, I see you're from Victoria (B.C.)... it's a small world we live in, my auntie & uncle live in Parksville, just up the road from you guys!

Last night my kids had a primary school disco (so cute) and at the end when the lights came on they ended it with a haka. Bawled my eyes out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast