Thread: We want to buy a car in Auckland...suggestions welcome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default We want to buy a car in Auckland...suggestions welcome

Hello All,

Well, we have our itinerary set. We are arriving in Auckland from San Francisco on August 25 at 5am. We will be toting along two small kids. Our plan is to get shuttled to our hotel which will be very close to the airport and chill out for a few hours. We'll have a leisurely lunch and then go on a mad search for a car (one of us will anyway). We have done a bit of research and would prefer a Honda Stream or Odyssey. They seem big enough to carry all our stuff and keep us relatively comfortable for our mini road trip down to Christchurch before the job starts in mid September. Is there a dealership row or some other sort of concentration of dealerships around the airport? Any that specialize in Hondas? We would prefer not to head too far north into Auckland but we could if need be. We have been scouring tradme.com and have found a slew of reasonable cars but we are hoping to concentrate our efforts. Ideally, we pay for the car that day and are on our way out of Auckland in a couple of days. Does this seem to be wishful thinking? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks and wish us luck!

I don't know specifically about Auckland, but I got my car at Turner's Auctions in Wellington. I got a great deal on my little Echo and it hasn't given me any problems.

It's worth checking out at the very least: http://www.turners.co.nz/

Hi,

turners auctions is a good place to buy a used car in good condition

there are many car dealers on new north road...i think its the road from ponsonby to Pt.Chev.

also check out www.autotrader.co.nz
    and then theres always trademe

Default Other threads with useful information...

There have been several threads on this forum recently that contain some good tips and advice on buying cars. You can find them here, here and here.

Good luck !

Cheers,
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ash3000 View Post
    there are many car dealers on new north road...i think its the road from ponsonby to Pt.Chev.
    I think you're thinking of Great North Rd. There's also a lot of car dealerships along Great South Rd, around Greenlane and up to Newmarket (although then you start getting into the BMW and Mercedes dealerships!)

Turners is in Penrose, which is a bit further down Great South Rd, so your best bet would prob be to hire a car and have a look at the car dealerships in the south, then head to turners for the auction. You can have a look in advance to see what they've got in their auctions.

Hello and good luck to you with your upcoming move! We moved here from the Western US a few months ago and when we arrived we went to Turner's Auction. It was recommended on the forum and so we decided to have a go. It turned out to be a great experience for us--we got a great vehicle with very low miles and at an astonishingly great price. Granted, we were paying with the USD The Turner's we went to in Auckland was really big with lots of options (it was the one in more southern Auckland -- we made the mistake of first going to one that was more north and it was much smaller with less choices).

We have had excellent luck with the our Toyota so far and are very happy with it. I think auctions in the USA are quite different, here they open them up to the public on weekends. It is awesome.

I have no advice I'm afraid as we bought from dealerships in Wellington. Where are you settling?

Are you able to wander around just to have a look at the cars to help you make a decision about what make of car you are looking for?

Thanks for all of the feedback.

We are partial to hondas and toyotas and are thinking about family and friends who will come to visit so we have a few models in mind (ability to seat 7 people). But we would look at other stuff.

The Turners auction in South Auckland would be a good one for us. We will have a look. Thanks!

We are settling in Christchurch but taking a little road trip/ vacation on our way down to our new home.