Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge area schools

Default Cambridge area schools

OK, we're leaving here in about a month and arriving in Waikato mid-August so I'm hoping to whittle the school/area choices down to a couple.

Could those in the know/on the ground give me the lowdown (here or via PM or facebook) on any of the following schools: Rotoorangi, Maungatautari, Leamington, Te Awamutu High, Cambridge Middle School and the primary schools in Cambridge?

Any info or advice you can offer would be VERY gratefully received

Getting pretty excited about having our feet back on (albeit COLD) NZ soil soon ...

Ok here goes, some I have in-depth personal knowledge of, some I have professional knowledge of, and some is just hear-say.

Roto-o-rangi School - smallish rural school about 7-10 minutes drive out of Cambridge. Draws from a primarily rural, farming and horsey area. No personal experience. Have only heard good things. They seem inordinately proud of their school bus and are forever campaigning to keep it. Looks like any other rural school from the outside. Some kids from Leamington bus there to so they can attend a small rural school.

Maungatautari School - in-depth personal knowledge, daughter goes there. Very small rural school with excellent head teacher and lovely staff. Very defined by it's rural location close to the pest-free nature reserve mountain, is a silver award winning enviro-school and children spend a lot of time outdoors involved in environmental projects, e.g. restoring their native bush gulley. Ridiculously good facilities for the number of children, swimming pool, adventure playground, sandpit, large grounds, 9 laptops and several desktop computers. Role is falling, worryingly. Strong links with local Marae. Ski trip planned soon. Lovely friendly welcoming feel. Several troubled boys who have failed in other schools - think this may bother some parents, it appears well managed. Not enough girls at the moment.

Leamington - last time I looked it was decile 4 school. Quite a large school on the 'poorer' side of Cambridge, although none of Cambridge is particularly poor. I have no personal experience. Professionally I hear mixed reports. Some teachers are excellent, and some not so good. Some troubled pupils struggle there (and end up at Maungatautari!) others do well. It has a good reputation for special needs overall though. Many on the snobbier side of town would not consider it for their kids. Would I? If I'm totally honest, probably no.

Cambridge Middle - Has an undeservedly (in my opinion) bad rep in Cambridge and many parents ship their kids out of town to Hamilton schools or keep them on at rural schools to avoid it. My daughter is in her 2nd year there and it has been really good. She has had 2 very good teachers, so maybe we've been lucky. The grounds are large but uninspiring with no play equipment. There is little for non-sporty types to do at lunch. It is much stricter than primary and can be a shock at first. The academic side has been good, this year especially. It is VERY strong for tech arts with a really excellent music, drama, textiles and art department. The art teacher is inspirational. Clever kids are put in special pods in their 2nd year which has worked well. There are special classes for computer loving kids too. It has a well stocked library.I have been very pleased with it overall. It has a reputation for bullying, but my nerdy daughter has had no problems at all and says you have to want to be in with the in crowd to get in to problems like that.

Don't know about TA

Thanks Sam- my older daughter is VERY keen to go back to rural primary despite my reservations.

Well - yay - we need more girls!

Well I missed an important thread somewhere along the way, so glad you're moving back to Aotearoa!

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Well I missed an important thread somewhere along the way, so glad you're moving back to Aotearoa!
    Thank you- we're all very glad here

Anyone know anything about any of the other primary schools in Cambridge? Cambridge and Cambridge East for example? Thanks in advance!

Hi Kanga,
    Well I work at Maungatautari and whole heartedly agree with all that Sam has said. We are a fantastic school and do our utmost to provide the best for all of the children. If you have any other questions PM me but I understand the head is emailing you a reply and YES we do need more girls. Oh and we also have a fab school cat called Wizard.

My son didn't have a good start at Cambridge East and now goes to another school but I have heard great reports about it from others.

Cambridge Primary is in the town so will not have the rural feel and open space but I have also heard that it is a good school.

How lucky to have so much choice. Look forward to meeting with you.
    Nat

Cambridge East is FAB! In depth personal experience including 2 of my kids attending. All teachers very committed and excellent Principal, good facilities. Ask me any more detailed questions..........
    Cambridge Primary; have spent 2 days there in several classes, all seemed good, right in town , no pool but they walk to town pools, relatively new principal, know several families who go there.
    My DD 1 also had excellent experience of the Middle school, being in the Academy class as yr 8, excellent teacher.
    TA primary I know one teacher who is excellent but not much more than that.

I know you didn't aska obut the High school in Cambridge but just to say that so far with DD in Yr 9, it's been all good.
    HTH?

Wonderful that you're moving into this area...it really is a great place for kids to grow up.

Thank you Belmont Babes and Carey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast