Thread: Can anyone tell me how much a registered nurse or midwife earns?

Default Can anyone tell me how much a registered nurse or midwife earns?

I am considering going back to school to get my midwifery or Register Nurse in NZ. Can anyone tell me what the average salary might be for either in the Wellington or Auckland area? I can't seem to get a good hand on figures. I will likely also get a masters degree, depending on how long it takes me. I currently have a masters in psychology from the States but am thinking of changing careers. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by coyotewildwomen View Post
    I am considering going back to school to get my midwifery or Register Nurse in NZ. Can anyone tell me what the average salary might be for either in the Wellington or Auckland area? I can't seem to get a good hand on figures. I will likely also get a masters degree, depending on how long it takes me. I currently have a masters in psychology from the States but am thinking of changing careers. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Wendy
    If you check out Pay Parity for Primary Health and in particular the link to PHC MECA 2008-2010.

This will tell you the current pay rate for nurses and midwives who are members of the NZNO. The rates for members of PSA are similar.

Ian

Wow. I guess I should stop complaining.

Doc Mike
    Coming to pharmacy near you...

Default Wages for nurses and midwives

So we are looking at about $20.00- $35.00 an hour, with a max of about 50k a year for a nurse and 60k for midwives? Does that seem to be in the ball park? Schooling is about 5k a year if you have your PR for 3 years +, just FYI for your Bach. Degree, masters is more. this is from payscale.com.

Cheers,

Wendy

If you look at the Fair Play section on the NZNO website and check out the DHB MECA you'll see that this year a new grad earns $44K, a nurse with 5 years experience $60K and that's the basic level, Level 2. With your unsocials you can add another $20K or so. Senior nurse scale is on there too.

Just as well nurses don't do it for the money....