Thread: Customs Question!

Question Customs Question!

Hi there.

So we are about to pack up and ship it all out. I have been doing a bit of research on customs charges and one condition for no custom charges is you must hold a document authorising residence in New Zealand.

One such document can be "A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months".

We have submitted our full application but it won't be processed by the time we, and out stuff arrive. I am travelling on a holiday visa and my wife on a 1 year working holiday visa. Will the working holiday visa satisfy customs?

Hi Greaterpace,

I'm not sure whether a holiday visa or a 1 year working holiday visa will suffice.

After a quick check on the Customs site, I found this:

Document authorising residence in New Zealand –
    means any of the following:
    • A current New Zealand Passport
    • A current Australian Passport
    • A current New Zealand Residence visa or permit or a current New Zealand returning resident's visa or permit
    • A current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia
    • A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months
    • A current New Zealand work visa or work permit issued under the Work to Residence (Skilled Migrant Category) policy or the Long term Business Visa/Permit category
    • A current New Zealand visitor's visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of three years.
    The source of this document can be found here.

I guess the question would be whether the 1 year holiday work visa your wife holds would count as a 'work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months' ?

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will be along soon to give you a definitive answer.

Otherwise I guess your best option would be to contact customs yourself, either via the phonenumber mentioned here on the website (gosh it took me a while to find that, only under the 'Complaints' section, not good !), which if calling from abroad is: +64 9 300 5399, or via E-mail: feedback@customs.govt.nz or the Feedback form on the website.

Good luck and have a safe journey to New Zealand !

Cheers,
    Silver
    Last edited by Silverwing86; 1st July 2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors...

Hey Silver,

Thanks for that, appreciate the effort. I had a look at the customs site there a while ago. I sent them an email explaining everything yesterday and this was their reply:

" I am unaware of a 12 month working holiday visa.

I suggest that you contact the organisation that issued you with this visa to verify whether this is actually "A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months"."

Not much help! I thought customs should know this seen as they are the ones that we will be producing the visa to!

So I'm going to send NZ Immigration an email now, and I'm sure their response will be to get in contact with Customs

But I think the devil may be in the detail. The Working holiday visa is up to a maximum of 12 months. The customs is a minimum of 12 months. So look at the dates on the visa, is it for exactly 12 months? If not, then you're scuppered.

However, if you do get charged, then wouldn't you be able to reclaim the tax back at the end of the year when you export the items?

Hi Greaterpace,

You're welcome, just sorry I wasn't more help .

Not much help! I thought customs should know this seen as they are the ones that we will be producing the visa to!
    Hmmm, I see your point, but I think perhaps they mean that it's actually Immigration New Zealand that issues the visa's ?

I think contacting INZ is probably a good idea, or otherwise if you can find some information on this particular 1 year working holiday visa on the INZ site (like this perhaps ?), I guess you could send that in a reply to Customs ? Although you'd probably be referred back to INZ anyway.

I've also found that sometimes is easier to contact people by phone rather than E-mail, that way you can explain yourself better and reply to any questions that might be posed right away.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on ?

Cheers,
    Silver

They aren't intending re-exporting - the WHV is just a temporary measure while the 'proper' visa goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    They aren't intending re-exporting - the WHV is just a temporary measure while the 'proper' visa goes through.
    Doh, must remember to read before brain dumping.... sorry, as you were.

Cheers for the replies guys.

No replies from my emails to INZ and Customs so I'll give them a call tonight.

I'll let you know what happens.