Hello all,

We're currently going through the immigration stage and now have our ITA which we're getting through gradually (medicals done and ok, police certs applied for). In the meantime I have applied for quite a few jobs in New Zealand in marketing as I'm a Marketing Manager here in the UK.

What I finding at the moment is that not only am I not getting anywhere with my applications but I haven't received any acknowledgement of any of my applications. I realise that it's currently a very difficult marketplace for jobs but does this mean that any application coming from overseas is likely to head straight for the bin!

I did read one of the threads the other day from someone in New Zealand saying that if you have a steady job in the UK then stay put for the meantime.

I spoke to a recruitment agency in Auckland last night who I met with when I was over in February. They just wanted to know whether I was still interested in coming over, which led me to believe that maybe things are picking up. However she said that pretty much everything was the same and that the state of recruitment hadn't changed much. She then said when would I be coming over, on which I replied that I am more than willing to jump on a plane for a series of interviews with a view to landing a position in New Zealand, would then return to the UK to serve my notice and then return.

This did not go down too well, she thought that I should come over with no job and try to get one when I got to NZ. Unfortunately my wife and I haven't won the lottery and have bills to pay as most people do. We don't have oodles of cash to live off either whilst we look for work. Has anyone else come across this?

What I would say is that we hope to get our PR and then look seriously at applying for jobs, and hopefully the marketplace may have improved by then.

Would like to hear how people have found applying for jobs from overseas.

All the best
Peter & Faye