Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for jobs in NZ from overseas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Applying for jobs in NZ from overseas

Hello all,

We're currently going through the immigration stage and now have our ITA which we're getting through gradually (medicals done and ok, police certs applied for). In the meantime I have applied for quite a few jobs in New Zealand in marketing as I'm a Marketing Manager here in the UK.

What I finding at the moment is that not only am I not getting anywhere with my applications but I haven't received any acknowledgement of any of my applications. I realise that it's currently a very difficult marketplace for jobs but does this mean that any application coming from overseas is likely to head straight for the bin!

I did read one of the threads the other day from someone in New Zealand saying that if you have a steady job in the UK then stay put for the meantime.

I spoke to a recruitment agency in Auckland last night who I met with when I was over in February. They just wanted to know whether I was still interested in coming over, which led me to believe that maybe things are picking up. However she said that pretty much everything was the same and that the state of recruitment hadn't changed much. She then said when would I be coming over, on which I replied that I am more than willing to jump on a plane for a series of interviews with a view to landing a position in New Zealand, would then return to the UK to serve my notice and then return.

This did not go down too well, she thought that I should come over with no job and try to get one when I got to NZ. Unfortunately my wife and I haven't won the lottery and have bills to pay as most people do. We don't have oodles of cash to live off either whilst we look for work. Has anyone else come across this?

What I would say is that we hope to get our PR and then look seriously at applying for jobs, and hopefully the marketplace may have improved by then.

Would like to hear how people have found applying for jobs from overseas.

All the best
    Peter & Faye

Default HI

Hi Peter & Faye

I can understand your situation 100%, because I also have gone through the same situation. I know it will cost a lot for you to consider coming here for job hunting but in my experience i think its really worth consider that.

When I am in UK applying for jobs, I just got only rejections. The recruiting companies will only accept your CV if you are willing to arrive in NZ for interview. Because they have to see u in person for interview. Its really very difficult to get interviews/job offers while u r there in UK.

In the past, companies offered job to many in UK but most people wont turn-up for their job offer. So they will only able to offer or interview u if you are in NZ and show your commitment.

If you are really serious to immigrate to NZ within couple of months, i would strongly recommend you to visit NZ and look for jobs.

If you still think that it wont suit your budget, then I would advise you to contact the following recruiting company (http://esnz.co.nz/WhoAreWe.php) and they will offer you advise and also they will search jobs for you while you are in UK, but they may charge you for that. If you are in NZ they will do it for FREE. The person name is Graham Hinds.

I personally know him and the guy is really friendly and supportive, he is also from UK and settled in NZ and doing the recruiting company.

please have to look at their website and give him a call or email him. if you want you can always refer my name

Hope u will find the right job and settle in NZ

kind Regards
    Santhosh

Thanks for your reply Santhosh , I've emailed Graham.

I understand that I do need to be over there for interviews and I'm more than happy to do that, but I would like to maybe arrange a few during my visit so that I've the best possible chance of getting a job.

What I can't afford to do though, is give up work in the UK, come over to NZ on a visitors visa and hope that I get a job once I'm there. We are just not able financially to do that, and I would be very sceptical as I did this back in 2001 after 6 months and ended up returning to the UK with a very large credit card bill and hefty overdraft, and no NZ job!

It seems that if your not in a trade such as medical, etc then securing a job from overseas is quite a mountain during these times. Needless to say we will continue sending off the applications for jobs as they come up and at the same time keep a check on our expectations and reality!

All the best
    Peter & Faye

that advice seems like madness and anyway, what issue would an employer have with your intentions? let alone recruiters!

Hi Peter & Faye -

I was approved for PR while still in the U.S. and was able to get an interview and job offer before going to NZ. As soon as I could show the recruitment agency my PR letter, they were willing to put my CV forward for roles and the employer knew I was serious about coming over. I know it isn't always as simple as this but I wanted to share my experience. Best wishes for your efforts -

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by SarahEDH View Post
    Hi Peter & Faye -

I was approved for PR while still in the U.S. and was able to get an interview and job offer before going to NZ. As soon as I could show the recruitment agency my PR letter, they were willing to put my CV forward for roles and the employer knew I was serious about coming over. I know it isn't always as simple as this but I wanted to share my experience. Best wishes for your efforts -

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks really appreciate your posting and that the advice of waiting until we have PR may be the way to go. We'll still have a crack at jobs when they come up in the meantime but I think we'll reserve the blitzing of the resumes to recruitment agencies until we have those blue stickers in hand.

Thanks for your support
    Peter & Faye

Default We're in the same boat

Peter & Faye,

My OH and I are in a similar boat as you. I have been conent with getting our PR first B4 even talking to Employers / Recruiters. I am currently employed in the US and do not want to leave my current job until we have something solid in NZ. Just finished Medicals and waiting for FBI reports, and then we are sending the ITA in. I am hoping by Feb / March of 2010 the economy will be better and we will have a PR to show employer's that we are serious. Good luck and we will hopefully see you on the other side some day.

hi there
    securing a firm job offer with a flexible start date without being in NZ is hard as hell whatever the 'economic climate' - put yourself in the shoes of the employer... unless you have been REALLY struggling to fill your critical vacancy and have found no-one suitable in 6 months or more, why the heck would you take a punt on someone who wasn't even in the country... let alone had to move family from the opposite side of the world, potentially to somewhere they had not been before... if you had any sense you wouldnt would you... unless you were really desperate or really convinced on that person... and lets not forget that every person is different (both employer and employee)
    I have no numerical fact to justify that the vast majority of new recruits from abroad seem to end up moving to a new employer relatively swiftly, but it certainly happened to me and it's certainly the perception of most local employers around here... and perception is reality...
    as someone who did find a job without being in NZ and has also been in the recruitment game i would say: dont give up, it is possible (really only if you have niche skills/experience to be fair), it will take time, market yourself (who is best at selling you... yourself or some recruiter!), and go direct to specific companies... at the same time get a back-up plan in place to come to NZ for an extended holiday and approach people face to face if you have no luck in the meantime...
    hope this helps...
    Last edited by broadsword08; 2nd July 2009 at 08:19 AM.

I second previous poster - don't give up.

We were in exactly the same situation a few months back. Had just heard from our Case Officer, about to prepare for our immigration interview - no job. We applied for hundreds of jobs, just fired OH's CV out there and the responses were always the same. Even some of the more helpful recruitment agents didn't really have much to say except 'we'd be happy to interview you upon arrival in NZ'.

Then totally out of the blue, we did get an interview with one company and amazingly they wanted OH, and now we are on our way to start our new life in NZ.

What I think worked for us, was that after we'd give up firing out CV's to any old job we decided that it wasn't working and we ended up only applying for jobs that really did match with what OH could do and we found this more successful even if it meant there were less jobs to apply for. I guess maybe employers can tell when you're desparate for a job and you apply for any old job that is even remotely linked to your qualifications.

Contrary to the post above, then I met with a company who had advertised in UK press and travelled to London to do interviews. They preferred people who were looking to moive in 6 months over the 3 months brigade as it implied they were generally more informed of the process and less likely to 'flit' over into the job and then on again.

So I met with them, had good news, but am pressing on with PR on my own (not reliant on job offer) and once I have that then we can set dates. House will go on the market just after we submit our ITA with a view to those being 'agreed' at about hte same time, then 3 months notice and we're off. Fix the job during that time.

Very much trade dependant though I imagine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast