Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving License

Default Driving License

Just went yesterday to the AA, and they told me that they do not recognize my driving ID as it was issued in Baghdad in 2000. Because of the current condition in Iraq there is no renewal for the driving license.

My international driving permit is not accepted as well cause it is a translation of the Iraqi Driving license.

So the only clue for my case is to undergo learners driving theory test and wait for six months to get restricted one. The learners one does not fit for me as I am under probation period with new job.

Any clue?

This must be so annoying for you.

The only thing I can suggest is that you should appeal your case directly to the Ministry of Transport. You can't be the only person who has been caught out by the current conditions in your home country - they MAY be prepared to be a bit flexible. After all, it's obvious that you DID have a driving licence back then. http://www.transport.govt.nz/audience/Motorists/

Not sure about NZ but UK and other countries let people drive for one year on their national driving license. Many countries do not recognise driving licenses from middle east, asia etc and one has to pass their driving test. NZ is more like UK in driving (driving vehicle on left hand side of road) and their laws will most probably be like them, which means starting from scratch.

I hate it but this the way they have their laws. I got my UK DL after failing four times but this taught me lots of things. Good luck with your driving.

Just saw this and pasted here:

see Factsheet 56 for full details.

New residents and visitors – driving in New Zealand
    The information in this factsheet applies to licences for cars, motorcycles and heavy motor vehicles.

Can I drive in New Zealand?
    Do you have a current and valid* overseas driver licence or international driving permit?

*A current and valid overseas driver licence means that your licence allows you to legally drive in your own country. If you are disqualified from driving or your licence is currently suspended, expired or revoked, then you are not allowed to drive in New Zealand.
    Yes – I do have a current overseas driver licence or international driving permit
    If you do have a current and valid overseas driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. Note: if your overseas licence or permit isn't in English, you must carry an accurate translation. See Other information you need to know below for more information.

Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on your overseas licence or international driving permit.

What happens after one year?

If you wish to drive after one year, you must first gain a New Zealand driver licence. We recommend you apply early to make sure you have a new licence before the one year is up.

Forms to use to apply for an overseas licence conversion are available from the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) driver licensing agents.

Depending on the country you have come from, you may have to pass theory and/or a practical driving tests.
    You do not have to sit the theory test if:

•you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    •your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
    •you are converting a car or a motorcycle licence.
    You do have to sit a theory test if:

•you have a licence from a country not listed above; or
    •you are converting a heavy vehicle licence from any country.
    Practical test
    You do not have to sit the practical test if:

•you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
    •your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
    •you have held that licence for more than two years.
    You do have to sit the practical test if:

•you have a licence from a country not listed above, or
    •you have a licence from a country which is listed above but you have held that licence for less than two years.
    Can I convert to a New Zealand licence using only my international driving permit?
    No. You can use your international driving permit to drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months but you cannot use it to convert to a New Zealand licence. An international driving permit is issued to a driver who had a valid driver licence at the time the IDP was obtained and remains valid only as long as the driver licence is current.

When you are applying to convert to a New Zealand licence you must present your overseas licence to show that your driver licence is still current or has expired less than 12 months ago and is valid for conversion.
    Last edited by IanW99; 1st July 2009 at 07:50 PM.

I drove for a year here on an international driving licence issued in Syria based on my Syrian licence and managed to convert it to a NZ licence after taking a theory and practical test - skipping the 6 month learner and restricted periods. If both your national and international licences are still valid then you should be able to convert them. Don't believe everything a person behind a desk tells you. Contact the land Transport authority directly. Ring the 0800 number for Driver Licence enquiries (it's on all the forms) and they might be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    I drove for a year here on an international driving licence issued in Syria based on my Syrian licence and managed to convert it to a NZ licence after taking a theory and practical test - skipping the 6 month learner and restricted periods. If both your national and international licences are still valid then you should be able to convert them. Don't believe everything a person behind a desk tells you. Contact the land Transport authority directly. Ring the 0800 number for Driver Licence enquiries (it's on all the forms) and they might be able to help.
    Hi, thanks for your interest.

The problem is that after the collapse of the Iraqi state in 2003, there is no traffic authority.

Although my national driving ID was issued in 2000 and expired in 2005. The ID was stolen from me in 2007.

I guess the people at the AA were right, cause I could not provide to them any proof that I have a national driving license, only a photocopy of my stolen one. The international driving permit is a translation of my Iraqi one.

I am now in the process to have a certificate of particulars from Baghdad, which is a proof that I have an Iraqi license before. Probably after that I will reach the land transport once again, cause I finally got the proof.

Regards,

Ali Ismail

Finally I succeeded to get a CERTIFICATE OF PARTICULARS issued from the Computer Archive Department in the Iraqi Traffic Directorate.

The certificate has been translated in Jordan, but the LandTransport could not recognize it while I am using the same office who did all my translation for the Immigration process !!!!!

I had a discussion with people of the AA and they confirmed to me that I cannot drive with the international driving license since I am enrolled in the NZ driving system by applying for the Leaner license. Strange again ha !!!!

Stucked again (

I am waiting for my certificate to be translated and then give it a try with the Application of Exemption DL4.

Hope it will be approved.

Just let you know that my Application for Exemption has been accepted and I will have my single attempt full driving test in the 1st of October.

Any notes and ideas?

That's good news - good luck with your test. I'm thinking about taking my full driving test soon - have you seen the list of things that are included in the test, which you can find here? (Scroll down a bit, and it lists the things that are covered in the test.)

Quote Originally Posted by AliIsmailNZ View Post
    Just let you know that my Application for Exemption has been accepted and I will have my single attempt full driving test in the 1st of October.
    Hello,

I successfully passed the full driving license test.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast