Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rural broadband

Unhappy Rural broadband

Had a bit of bad news yesterday in that we cant have Broadband at our new house because there are no free ports at the exchange, so we are now on the port waiting list Could be dead man's shoes.............

Any body else been on the waiting list?

After being on dial up for a day yesterday (as we had gone over our cap), I feel your pain a little. I hope you get a spot soon!

What about Telecom 3G? I've been using our work modem for the last few days while we got broadband setup at our new house. I was impressed with the performance. It will probably get worse as more people switch to 3G but it's great at the moment.

You know something, I don’t understand why this happens. Anyone interested in this, then post here, maybe it will motivate me to do the work.

I put a prototype line of sight 100Mbs link together on the bench years ago, just for fun. I’m sure I could do a Gbs link without too much trouble. It’s not difficult.

If you can see a building with a broadband link, 10 Mbs, 100Mbs ethernet link, or even a Gbs link then I could connect you to it for a hardware cost of a few hundred $. This would be a 1 off cost for connecting to an ISP, then your ISP would charge the “normal fee” I guess it’s a bit like buying a special modem.

I could also hop, i.e if your friend can see the building but you can’t, I could connect him/her and if you could see your friend (even if you need a telescope, and have to stand on the roof to do it) I could connect you too.

I could easily connect buildings together at 100Mbs and probably connect them at 1Gbs without much trouble. That would let you share an Internet connection with a neighbour.

Is there a market for this? Post on here if there is a good response I’ll look into ISP access and get to work.

You never know, perhaps I’ll make a few quid eh it would make a change if the engineer ended up with some cash in his/her pocket, lol engineers are notoriously bad businessmen/women , that’s why we are all poor lol.

Bob

Bob, I suspect there's money to be made there. Like SERIOUS money.

We were lucky that we were close to the primary school so had faster broadband than in town. Have bookmarked this thread- might be calling on you in the future Bob

Ben and Clare, my partner has gone to bed so I won't sound very technical and might be talking rubbish, but we live in the middle of nowhere and we get our broadband through Rural link. It's a wireless broadband service - I think that means we receive a wireless signal from a transmitter on a mountain on the Kaimais. It's not even THAT expensive and we get 10gb downloading a month, which is a whole lot better than we ever dreamed of.

Sound like that you are talking about is similar to this Bob?
    http://www.scorch.co.nz/

OH used to work in a similar industry before we decided that telecoms were too volatile long term and he swapped to programming.
    Last edited by BkyMonster; 3rd July 2009 at 08:34 AM.

We're not rural & not in your area but when we moved into our new rental we were all set up to connect get the broadband connected , to then be told 'there are no free ports on the exchange' !!
    Huge issue for us as OH works from home , he had to go out a blag himself a desk in a very kind ladies office.

But anyway the good news was that 2 weeks later we got a call from Telecom to say that we were going to be connected the next day - and we were!

Frustratingly though at the outset they had no idea how long the waiting list was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Ben and Clare, my partner has gone to bed so I won't sound very technical and might be talking rubbish, but we live in the middle of nowhere and we get our broadband through Rural link. It's a wireless broadband service - I think that means we receive a wireless signal from a transmitter on a mountain on the Kaimais. It's not even THAT expensive and we get 10gb downloading a month, which is a whole lot better than we ever dreamed of.
    Cheers Sam will have a look into that

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    You know something, I don’t understand why this happens. Anyone interested in this, then post here, maybe it will motivate me to do the work.

I put a prototype line of sight 100Mbs link together on the bench years ago, just for fun. I’m sure I could do a Gbs link without too much trouble. It’s not difficult.

If you can see a building with a broadband link, 10 Mbs, 100Mbs ethernet link, or even a Gbs link then I could connect you to it for a hardware cost of a few hundred $. This would be a 1 off cost for connecting to an ISP, then your ISP would charge the “normal fee” I guess it’s a bit like buying a special modem.

I could also hop, i.e if your friend can see the building but you can’t, I could connect him/her and if you could see your friend (even if you need a telescope, and have to stand on the roof to do it) I could connect you too.

I could easily connect buildings together at 100Mbs and probably connect them at 1Gbs without much trouble. That would let you share an Internet connection with a neighbour.

Is there a market for this? Post on here if there is a good response I’ll look into ISP access and get to work.

You never know, perhaps I’ll make a few quid eh it would make a change if the engineer ended up with some cash in his/her pocket, lol engineers are notoriously bad businessmen/women , that’s why we are all poor lol.

Bob

We're moving into our soon to be neighbours in 2 weeks and will able to connect into their internet wirelessly, whilst staying in their flat. Not sure how they would feel about us using this long term, will mention it to them.

Congratulations on those who've been up graded recently

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast