Thread: Do I need an International Drivers Permit

Default Do I need an International Drivers Permit

if I have a UK license.

Checked the AA website and New Zealand is not listed as one of the countries you need one for but just wanted to check. We intend to hire a car upon arrival at the airport so I don't want to any problems if our UK license isn't accepted.

UK license was fine and dandy for the camper van last Feb/March.

No you don't need but would suggest you bring paper and photo licence as just occasionally both are needed! Happy hols

Your UK license is good for one year here, then you have to apply for NZ version, very painless, just a form to fill, a bit of cash to pay, obviously, and an eye test, NO driving test or theory test ..... easy.....
    You get given a temporary license (a small piece of paper) and then after a wek your new license will arrive in the post.
    Hope that helps.

cheers for that! good - one less thing to do and something I can tick off the list!

Hi,

I swear I read somewhere that once your year is up you need to do a theory test but no practical - quite happy to be corrected but thought I would double check.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zeelandoor View Post
    Hi,

I swear I read somewhere that once your year is up you need to do a theory test but no practical - quite happy to be corrected but thought I would double check.

Cheers
    Everyone used to have to take at least the theory test before converting their license, but this was changed last year to allow many (depending on country of origin) to convert their license without having to take the theory test.

Ian

yep, we changed ours a month back, nip to the local AA office (AA in NZ does a lot more than in the UK) and pay them about $40 I think it was. They take your photo, do a very quick eye test (you're allowed to wear glasses) and then send you on your way with a temporary license until your permanent one arrives. You need another form of photo ID and confirmation of address as well as your UK license.