Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZNC Registration with UK Diploma Qualification

Unhappy NZNC Registration with UK Diploma Qualification

Mrs Skywatcher is a Registered Nurse with the NMC in the UK. She graduated with a Diploma in Adult Nursing from the University of Manchester in 2009 and has 2 years of general practice under her belt.

We've just got all the info together in support of organising transfer of her registration to the NZNC and have noted that whilst her diploma from the UK allows her full Registration for the UK, this doesn't appear to be good enough for NZ. The following is extracted from the NZNC registration criteria document:

Educational Standards for registered nurse scope of practice:
    The scope and content of the curriculum includes theory and related practice
    experiences to enable students to achieve the expected outcomes of the programme.
    Your nursing qualification must be deemed to be equivalent to Level Seven as
    determined by New Zealand Qualifications Authority (http://www.nzqa.govt.nz).

Mrs Skywatcher's Diploma is worth 240 credits and she has another 20 credits gained through further training. NZQA Level 7 however requires 360 credits. She is exceedingly distressed by this apparent discrepancy between UK and NZ registration standards as this will potentially close employment options that might otherwise be available for her.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or identified a work around for it?
    Last edited by skywatcher; 28th September 2011 at 08:18 AM.

I registered with a UK diploma. I didn't think nursing qualifications were subject to NZQA assessments - I never had to get mine assessed. You have to get a transcript from your qualifying University and this usually covers the requirements. I got my registration in 2007 - not sure if the rules have changed since then.

Hi,
    I registered as a RMN in NZ in April. It was really straightforward. I have diploma in nursing 2002 and Bsc in clinical practice 2010. They only wanted verification from my diploma university and did not request verification regarding my Bsc.
    I had to do IELTS exam. Nursing and Midwifery Council had to verify I was on the register. It was all on the websites. The only bit that took a while was uni sending my transcript of training as they sat on it for a month before sending it...
    If you go on Nursing Council for New Zealand all the info is there.

I think the rules have changed for International Registrants relatively recently.

The attached is a link to the NZNC requirements for International Registrants:

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...nz-31may10.pdf

This could discount many UK based Registered Nurses who have Diplomas qualifications from NZNC equivalent registration.

I have just looked on the NZ nursing council website and its doesnt look like it has been updated since i applied. The date on the info is December 2010. I only got my registration in June 2011.
    Have you looked at the application form? I appreciate that might be a stupid question.
    Happy to have a chat but cant post my number on here..

From that very pdf you linked to:

The theoretical component of the degree or diploma provides a minimum of three years’ full time nursing or nursing related study ....
    (my bold)

I'm sure you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    From that very pdf you linked to:

(my bold)

I'm sure you'll be fine
    But the same PDF also states NZQA Level 7.

We've been thinking we may just chance our arm anyway and see what happens. Our luck has to change sometime!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingacat View Post
    I have just looked on the NZ nursing council website and its doesnt look like it has been updated since i applied. The date on the info is December 2010. I only got my registration in June 2011.
    Have you looked at the application form? I appreciate that might be a stupid question.
    Happy to have a chat but cant post my number on here..
    Thanks for the chat offer. Can you make a couple more posts Kinga and I'll then be able to PM you.

I wonder if 'credits' are the same in the two countries. I notice the document linked to above suggests that someone whose training is measured in credits rather than hours should get their qualifying body to verify how many hours to a credit, which rather suggests that it's by no means a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I wonder if 'credits' are the same in the two countries. I notice the document linked to above suggests that someone whose training is measured in credits rather than hours should get their qualifying body to verify how many hours to a credit, which rather suggests that it's by no means a foregone conclusion.
    That's an interesting point JandM!!

The only problem is the covering letter provided by the University with the transcript states that they can't provide a breakdown of hours against individual subject areas as, and I quote, "...that is not how our programmes are arranged"!!!!

That's the University of Manchester too, one of the country's foremost institutions.

There's only one thing you can say isn't there!!

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Think I'm going to look for a very tall building!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast