Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling car privately

Default Time wasters

Just wondering how other people have got on with selling their car through the normal Auto trader etc route.

We have advertised a car, low mileage Audi priced to sell all usual information given. So far it is just on the website and will appear in the trader this weekend. Had lots of calls and offered all info needed. Why is is then that people ring then nothing heppens. Had 1 guy who phoned last night all excited about it then never rang as agreed to say he was setting off? Maybe they are traders or maybe they are people who want you to give the address of the car then they can steal to order, apparently this is common place. Oh well plenty of time but wonder if anyone else had this experience of time wasters!

Bilbo
    Work visa granted as a midwife
    Flying out 16th August
    Start work in Whangarei 31st AUG
    Last edited by bilbo baggins; 9th July 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: TITLE CHANGE

Yes, every time we've ever had a car to sell, pretty much.

I sold mine on ebay when we moved - just a classified rather than an auction but I believe it gets more hits from genuine buyers than autotrader.

We had no luck with one car, so shipped it over.

The other car we left with my parents. Within a week of leaving a friend of my Uncle bought it without the need for any advertising

Good luck.

I'm in the same position here in the states as you. I have mine listed on: Autotrader, craigslist, Iwanna, Cars.com....Surely someone out there wants a beautiful 2007 Toyota Rav4!!!
    Plus we are also trying to sell our fifth Wheel RV. We love it, but can't afford to ship it!!! We hope to find another RV once we come over that we can afford.
    I wish you luck, but right now my luck is the same as yours!

smack it on ebay with no reserve. you tend to get more for it ironically!

We used both ebay (classified ad, wasn't brave enough to make it an auction!) and autotrader to sell our 2 cars when we left.

Through autotrader we had emails almost entirely from scammers who wanted to pay twice what we'd advertised (using a bank draft presumably forged) and then ship to some mysterious destination outside the UK. All badly written and smelling highly of the 419 scam. We had one call from someone who claimed to be very interested but never managed to be interested enough to come and view/test drive.

Through ebay we could track how much interest there was (through how many were watching each car), we had more than a few genuine enquiries and both cars sold for pretty near the asking price within a couple of weeks.

You can probably tell which one I would go for in future!

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    I'm in the same position here in the states as you. I have mine listed on: Autotrader, craigslist, Iwanna, Cars.com....Surely someone out there wants a beautiful 2007 Toyota Rav4!!!
    Plus we are also trying to sell our fifth Wheel RV. We love it, but can't afford to ship it!!! We hope to find another RV once we come over that we can afford.
    I wish you luck, but right now my luck is the same as yours!
    We sold our 30' RV before we came over and then we found out that they sell for like $80,000 here!!
    But I would bring a bumper pull. I don't know about a gooseneck here. They pull with weird vehicles (*)I have only seen 2 american pickup trucks here. They all drive the small "ranger" size trucks or SUVs here and will pull with anything. I have seen them pulling RVs and trailers with Hondas. That is a pretty common site here. I still laugh EVERY time.
    I have even seen a Toyota SUV pulling a 6000 lb. mini excavator on a tiny lawnmower trailer!! (We had an F350 to pull the same thing )

Back to bringing an RV, I would ship it over if you can't sell it for anything in the US. But I think you have to own it for some (?) length of time or you have to pay GST. or maybe you have to pay GST anyway?? Maybe someone else knows for sure?
    I think you have to own it for 12 months but that may have just been our kid's ATVs. (sorry, I wasn't any help really)

Do you have a Gumtree for your local area? http://www.gumtree.com/ (top right drop down changes the area, it defaults to London)

Whilst I've not sold anything through it, we got two of our last three cars through it, and is probably how we will get rid of our car when the time comes.

Thanks for all your replies. So far 10 phone calls and still no views. Got 5 weeks so not too bothered yet! What I find amazing is people can search within a certain radius and then express surprise that we are --- miles away!! Only 5 weeks and 2 days and we are off and after another crippling day working in the NHS I can't wait!

Cheers Bilbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast