Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity question

Default Electricity question

NZ plugs are 10amps, correct? While UK plugs are 13.

So I was fully expecting some UK items not to work with a NZ plug on.

Our kettle is 3kW - so according to my calculations it will fuse the house if try and plug it in. However we've seen some for sale that are 2.4kW - so am I wrong? and if I'm not wrong, will we wreck the wiring of the rented house we haven't moved into yet by trying it?

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    NZ plugs are 10amps, correct? While UK plugs are 13.

So I was fully expecting some UK items not to work with a NZ plug on.

Our kettle is 3kW - so according to my calculations it will fuse the house if try and plug it in. However we've seen some for sale that are 2.4kW - so am I wrong? and if I'm not wrong, will we wreck the wiring of the rented house we haven't moved into yet by trying it?
    Yes NZ plugs are 10A and UK plugs are 13A.

10A = 2.4kW so this is OK.

13A = 3kW so this in NOT OK.

It isn't safe to use a 3kW kettle in a NZ wired house.

Anything over 2400W is potentially unsafe.

Ian

Bother. Anyone want a second hand kettle?

Edit - many thanks for answering the question!
    Last edited by KatieBen; 11th July 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thank you! /spank.

It’s fine, just plug it in.

The wiring is fused to protect it, the outlet is set to allow all outlets to drive serially (unlike a ring in the UK, which is why you need a fuse in the plug for a UK outlet). Well at least that’s the idea but not always true, many NZ electricians will run more outlets because they know you wont run them all at maximum capacity simultaneously.

The worst you will do is trip the fuse, no big deal, and you’ll probably only do that if you happen to have several high powered things plugged in.

You won’t hurt the wiring because the fuse will protect it, and you can safely run 18A down a 2.5mm cable.

BS7671 amendment

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    It’s fine, just plug it in.

Whilst I agree that it will almost certainly work and not be a problem especially as the kettle will only draw current for a small amount of time.

It doesn't make it safe, the plug and socket alone are only rated at 10A anything over that and they will be overloaded.

Anyone who has plugged in too many plugs into a multiway adapter knows the risks and the fuses if there are any won't necessarily blow especially as so many people will replace the correct fuse with the wrong one.

The house insurance policy will also be invalidated if you do use something that exceeds rated current, so is it really worth the risk (however small it may be)?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Bother. Anyone want a second hand kettle?

Edit - many thanks for answering the question!
    I am not sure if it is the same plug, you may have to buy an adapter probably with the same price of the kettle.

Get rid of it and buy new one with 2000W (up to 2400W depending on the input voltage).

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    It doesn't make it safe, the plug and socket alone are only rated at 10A anything over that and they will be overloaded.

Anyone who has plugged in too many plugs into a multiway adapter knows the risks and the fuses if there are any won't necessarily blow especially as so many people will replace the correct fuse with the wrong one.

Ian
    Exactly. The socket outlet and plug is only rated at 10A.
    The contacts in the socket will soon burn out at anything above 10A
    Seen it numerous times.
    I've been to a few places where people have overloaded a socket. Not pretty.

The wiring to the socket will be rated a lot higher.

The wiring should allow a 15A socket to be fitted, but you must get this done by a registered sparky with a current practicing licence.

2.5mm TPS cable takes around 25A depending on conditions.
    Figures should be taken from AS/NZS 3008 and not the UK BS7671.

Nick.

Default Not an issue

I'm leaning more toward's Bob's view. The circuit breaker will decide, not so much the contacts in the mains plugs. If these mains outlets burn out before the breaker trips, then I would suggest they're cheap quality. So much of that stuff is made in China so the quality control ain't the same what it use to be for vintage PDL outless.

I would be curious to know if that UK kettle actually draws 13 amps?

BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I'm leaning more toward's Bob's view. The circuit breaker will decide, not so much the contacts in the mains plugs. If these mains outlets burn out before the breaker trips, then I would suggest they're cheap quality. So much of that stuff is made in China so the quality control ain't the same what it use to be for vintage PDL outless.

I would be curious to know if that UK kettle actually draws 13 amps?

BQ
    The 10Amp rating is there for a reason. Not for fun.
    The circuit breaker for socket circuits will usually be at 16A or 20A.

3KW will draw 13.04A
    So, a 3KW jug pulls over 13A, well above what the socket and plug is rated at.
    And the MCB won't trip. Work out what happens next.

Nick.

having read all this I have realised I am going to have to leave my beloved slow cooker behind

anybody know where we can get a new one? lol!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast