Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Environmental Consultants

Default Environmental Consultants

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to move to NZ in two or three years time. I work as an Environmental Consultant in the UK, dealing in the investigation and remediation of contaminated land. Ideally I'd want to work in the same/similar sector over there, but I'm not sure of the likelihood of me getting this type of work. Does anyone have any similar experiences/tips? My background is a BSc in Environmental Geology.

Cheers

Charlie
    Last edited by Pickle Lily; 13th July 2009 at 08:46 PM.

I don't know an answer for you, but welcome.

I know someone that did that with GHD. (They are a big consultants over there, nothing to do with the 'big hair' company over here)

FIrst thing to do is check the LTSSL to see if enviro is on there, and then make sure your qualifications count. If not then get working on that.

Most big engineering companies seem to be focussed on Aukland, but ChCh also seems to be pretty well populated for opportunities.

Not sure if Beca has anything, I've spoken to them and liked what I heard about the company.

Arrow Ecological Consultancy

Hi Charlie,

I chanced upon this recent job posting by a New Zealand ecological consultancy and wonder if it may be somewhat in the nature of the career you are seeking in NZ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo...htm?key=824138

Hope this may be useful to you!

Wow, thank you for replying so quick.

JandM - Thank you!

Duncan74 - Thanks for the tips, I shall investigate those companies.

Leo - Cheers for that, but alas it is not my field of expertise. There are so many different environmental jobs out there that it is hard to narrow down the search.

My area is contaminated land, but (unfortunately) the kiwis are a clever bunch who haven't polluted their ground . But you have petrol stations, so there's got to be at least some work for my kind (ground investigations to check the tanks aren't leaking... not the most interesting work, but hey)!

My job is not on the LTSSL, but is on the skilled migrants list. I'm hoping that might change in the next few years. OH's job is on the LTSSL, so he would be the principle applicant. We're not too worried about the EOI at the moment, as applying is a fair way off and the points indicator has given us a pretty good idea of where we're at (assuming we're doing it right... we've got over 140 points).

My qualification is an honours degree from the University of Birmingham, UK, so although I haven't checked I am hoping it will count for a fair bit. Beyond that in this industry (in the UK), it's work experience that counts. A masters would help, but beyond me financially at the moment and it's not a good time to leave a secure job. Chartership is at least seven years off and about 20 for the full fellowship, but I shall start the ball rolling on that at least. Although not sure it will count as a qualification for NZQA it will hopefully look good on the CV.

At the moment I'm just trying to see what's around and work out whether I'll need to change direction a bit.

That was a bit of a long boring post. Sorry!

Anymore info will be gratefully received.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Pickle Lily; 13th July 2009 at 10:53 PM.

If your partner is LTSSL then (assuiming they stay on the list) then it shouldn't be too tricky, and you will get PR linked to them. No need for you to worry about additional qualifications. FWIW then I got 155 with my OH's BA contributing to that with no job points, so it's not unusual to be over the limit.

Your BSc (BEng?) should be fine. There is a current glitch with Masters degrees (MEng and MSc) in the UK being dropped off the list since end May, but that seems likely to be reversed next month, and at worst then you need to pay the $450 to get them certified to Level 7,8 or 9).

I'd start reading up on the NZ Resource Management Act - lots to it, but I'm fairly sure some of your work would be related to this - even simple awareness won't harm you. Also help you be aware of the differences in terminology between here and there.

Cheers Duncan74. I shall look up that Act for some bedtime reading.
    Last edited by Pickle Lily; 14th July 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo

Hi

just some websites that may be of interest if you haven't already stumbled accross them yourself.

http://www.greendrinks.org/ good for contacts

www.greenpages.org.nz

www.nrmjobs.com.au

Hi,

i wish it was true about not polluting the land but theres plenty of contaminated sites here in Auckland...

The regional councils are responsible for contaminiated land so check out the regional council job sites. Other options woud be to look at policy analyst or planner vacancies etc with councils as these cover a huge range of jobs not neccessarily policy or planning in the job title!

So far I have been a planner an senior policy analyst a senior adviser and back to senior analysts again. (with same two employers..) people seem to be fond of restructuring..

there always seems to be a fair bit of environmental work out there but at present a lot of the consultants I know or use are getting inot the public sector where its a bit safer. however theres always a need for skilled people.

one thing i have noted that a lot of the people i work with have had to revise their salary expectations etc for consultancy work out here, and i was surprised to learn a few consultants where on less than permanent staff in some council jobs!!

"not polluted their land"

Have you considered moving into the dark side and ministry for environment in wgtn?
    They've just restructured and when the dust settles may be a reasonable time to apply. The pay is not too bad either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast