Thread: Renting a house

Question Renting a house

Hi,
    We plan to rent a house when we first get to Auckland so that we can get a feel for the place before we buy. We want somewhere around Bucklands Beach, Half Moon Bay, Howick area (I've asked questions about this on another thread) and wondered how to find somewhere suitable? Once we've decided on a school we'll need to find a place 'in-zone' - how easy is this and should we sort it all out before we get there? Has anyone else rented a place 'sight-inseen'? Are there any furniture rental places in Auckland that we could rent basic stuff from until our container arrived? We will stay at a hotel for our first week but want to move into a rented house straight away - I would prefer the inconvenience of not having my stuff but having a place to start making into a home than staying in a hotel or furnished place and having to move again when our container arrives. Am I mad - or is this feasible?

How to find what is for rent - look on TradeMe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...22=0&59=0&59=0 and Google for estate agents working the area you want, and haunt their sites, too.

You are not very likely to be able to get everything sorted out when you are not close at hand. My son and his family have just moved from one rental to another in Auckland, within their home area, and they had a terrible job securing a suitable place, even living within a mile or two - by the time they would enquire about a place being advertised, very likely it was gone. Also, don't forget the tendency the world over of estate agents to take photographs which carefully leave out e.g. the glue factory next door or the pylon in the back garden. Unless you have somebody that you trust 110% to look a place over for you before you commit, I wouldn't advise trying to rent sight unseen.

Not ALL schools are zoned. This issue may not arise.

Yes, there are furniture rental places - do a Search on the blue bar above and old threads mentioning this will come up.

Hi. You can definitely check some listing on Trademe to find furnished accommodations in HMB, BB and Howick but there are usually very few and far in between. I would recommend more to check out the Eastern Times and Howick & Pakuranga Times which are community papers in the area. They usually have lots of listings of places for rentals. Once you hit the ground in Auckland, grab those newspapers. They are more useful than internet adverts. The advise not to rent based on just internet photos of the place is usually because there are certain things that some agents/landlords don't show and tell you.

I'd just add my own experience into the matter. We'd stayed for 1 month in BB. Really loved the area but had to move out since the lady who rented us the place was returning back from England. We tried for 2.5 weeks to find a furnished rental in BB, Howick or Pakuranga but nothing. There were plenty of listings but 99.9 % was for unfurnished rental. The only 2 available to us- one was really awful and the other was only after the tenant will vacate in 1 month which would be too late for us. That's why we now are living in Devonport.

So finding a furnished rental is a matter of luck and time. So give yourself some time to find that right place in the location you want.

We started off in a fully furnished rental in Cockle Bay and then started looking. From our point of view, trying to find a decent rental came before finding a school. Many of the schools here are zoned, but all the primary schools are pretty good so sticking to a zone for a rental wasn't necessary. I would not have gone by a trademe or agents photographs, they always pick out the best features (although not always the case ).

We moved into our unfurnished property and lived on camp beds, folding chairs and blow up mattress for 1.5 months.

Question

Lots of good advice - thanks so much

I think we will move into an unfurnished place and 'camp' until our container arrives! It will just be part of the big adventure .

I've looked at Trademe and found some possible rentals but when I've tried to contact the owner I'm not able to because I don't have a NZ or Australian email address. Is there any way of getting round this? I've managed to contact some agents but can't contact anyone this is marketing their place directly. If I find somewhere that looks suitable online, my new employers have offered to check it out for me - but I need to be able to make contact first. Any ideas?

Ta, M