Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pig 'Bits' and Parsley Sauce

Default Pig 'Bits' and Parsley Sauce

Came across a great website today for anyone looking to cut the shopping costs or struggling to make ends meet:

About
    Lyn Webster has restricted her family grocery budget to just $100 a week, hoping to save $12,000 in a year to invest in a rental property.

Lyn is charting progress in her weekly column in the Taranaki Daily News
    http://pigtitsandparsleysauce.co.nz/

It's interesting that she is selling tips. Most of the tips are actually on the internet in regards for uses for vinegar and baking soda.
    http://www.vinegartips.com/Scripts/
    http://ultimatemoneyblog.com/unique-...or-baking-soda there are lots more pages like this one with other uses as well. In addition just Googling for DIY-(product type here)- will yield lots of results.
    Enterprising of her at least. I am curious what she is making laundry powder out of as one of the products I used in the US to make my own is not cheap here at all.

I just read across the first lines in her blog..., and I was wondering if there are actually any "normal" people out there who go to the supermarket with no plan/ list/ whatsoever at all, having, as she out it, unlimited funds available....
    I t seems that that sort of shoppers might be quite rare in these times?

I admit that I am not always sticking 100% to my shopping list, but I also found that after a while, you usually know what you spent for the groceries, give and take a small amount? Except, of course, if there are any special events you have to cover.

Well I would have been one of the 'abnormal' ones then, there are a lots of us, for sure.

In the UK I used to happily go along to the supermarket and fill up my trolley with goodies and not even care about the cost. I wouldn't have known how much a bag of sugar was supposed to cost, or anything else for that matter. If I wanted or needed it, it simply fell into the trolley. I don't actually see too many people here walking around the supermarkets with lists, so it's not as 'abnormal' as you might think.

It takes a certain amount of re-programming and effort to change the habits of a lifetime. For me these days, the motivation of sticking to a list is borne purely out of necessity and I would far rather it didn't have to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    It's interesting that she is selling tips. Most of the tips are actually on the internet in regards for uses for vinegar and baking soda.
    http://www.vinegartips.com/Scripts/
    http://ultimatemoneyblog.com/unique-...or-baking-soda there are lots more pages like this one with other uses as well. In addition just Googling for DIY-(product type here)- will yield lots of results.
    Enterprising of her at least. I am curious what she is making laundry powder out of as one of the products I used in the US to make my own is not cheap here at all.
    My thoughts too.

I'm sure she charges a fee for her 'in-house' lessons too.

Good for her though, but I won't be sending off for a copy

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    I am curious what she is making laundry powder out of as one of the products I used in the US to make my own is not cheap here at all.
    What were you using to make Laundry powder?

Arrow Homemade Laundry Powder

Since we're on the topic of laundry powder, I did a little research and was amazed to find 10 Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes neatly listed on a single webpage

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundr...rgent-recipes/

Hope this post doesn't get me into trouble with those in the Laundry Detergent business

Amazing really and ironic that a money saving website asks you to pay money for their secret information. I didn't actually realise this at first, nor the fact that you can sign up to 'franchise' the business and you too can jump on the bandwagon and earn some money.

I just read a few of the diary entries, so my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    What were you using to make Laundry powder?
    Basically borax and baking soda. Works well and in the US Borax was stupid cheap and better for the groundwater. Here I can't find it, but was told that it runs something exorbitant per 100g. I also used it for dishwashing powder with great results.

If anyone has seen it (Sodium borate, or borax) I'd be happy to be corrected.

Well I would have been one of the 'abnormal' ones then, there are a lots of us, for sure.

In the UK I used to happily go along to the supermarket and fill up my trolley with goodies and not even care about the cost. I wouldn't have known how much a bag of sugar was supposed to cost, or anything else for that matter. If I wanted or needed it, it simply fell into the trolley. I don't actually see too many people here walking around the supermarkets with lists, so it's not as 'abnormal' as you might think.

It takes a certain amount of re-programming and effort to change the habits of a lifetime. For me these days, the motivation of sticking to a list is borne purely out of necessity and I would far rather it didn't have to be like that.
    Yesterday 08:33 AM
    Well, even if the topic is now a different one, I feel I need to answer this reply. I never thought we were not "well off' in Germany, but even there I used to go shopping with a list and I knew where to buy what for the best price..., maybe it has something to do with my age or the way my parents brought me up... (same goes for the in- laws, then).
    Regarding the shopping lists- I, on the other hand, see lots of people with shopping lists or adding up their groceries.., though I have to admit that there were more of them in Dunedin at Pak'n Save then her at New World.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast