Thread: Drivers Licence Question

Smile Drivers Licence Question

Hi all

I know that we can drive on UK licence for up to a year and transfer to NZ licence is quite simple if you have had your licence for 2 years but DH got his UK licence just before we left UK in Nov 2008.

He is not keen on re-sitting a driving test (which I can understand ), and I'm sure that I've seen on this forum that if you leave the country and re-enter that the year driving on the UK licence starts again.

I just wanted to check does anyone know if this is correct, have any experience of this?? Would hate to do it and then find he's not insured or he looses his licence all together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijock View Post
    He is not keen on re-sitting a driving test (which I can understand ), and I'm sure that I've seen on this forum that if you leave the country and re-enter that the year driving on the UK licence starts again.

I just wanted to check does anyone know if this is correct, have any experience of this?? Would hate to do it and then find he's not insured or he looses his licence all together.

Thanks
    Yes, this is correct. If you leave NZ then the 'clock' resets and you have another 12 months before you must get a NZ license.

Ian

I did this - I arrived iN NZ in late June 2003 and left in early July 04 (so was only a week over) then when I returned in August 04 I got my NZ licence. They asked when I first arrived in NZ but that was way back in 2000 when I had my first holiday, so then I was asked when I arrived to stay. I don't think they do any checking (I did mine at the Thames AA centre).
    It's really easy, at least it was back then. All I had to do was a scratchcard theory test.

There's a website where you can take sample tests and I did about five of these to drum the rules into my head before going to the centre.

In some places you have to book heaps in advance but I just walked in and did it there and then. Job done. No practical test so nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Bally Bee View Post
    It's really easy, at least it was back then. All I had to do was a scratchcard theory test.

There's a website where you can take sample tests and I did about five of these to drum the rules into my head before going to the centre.
    Of course for many countries the theory test is no longer required.

For the OP, here is the relevant part of the legislation:
    (2) A person who is deemed by subclause (1) to hold a New Zealand driver licence may continue to drive under that driver licence until the first of the following situations occurs:
    (a) the person has remained in New Zealand for a continuous period of 12 months; or
    (b) The document that enabled that person to be deemed to hold a New Zealand driver licence under subclause
    (1) expires, is suspended, or is revoked; or
    (c) An order is made disqualifying the person from holding or obtaining a driver licence, either in New Zealand or in the jurisdiction that granted the overseas driver licence or permit; or
    (d) the person obtains a New Zealand driver licence.
    Ian

Thanks for your replies, DH is relieved and looks like we'll be popping on a wee holiday in Nov/Dec

Thanks