Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Housing

Default Poor Housing

I've read quite a few comments about the quality of the housing being very poor in NZ. Can anyone tell me what exactly the problems are and what to look out for with different house styles.

Is the quality still very poor the higher up the market you go, or is it with all types of houses?

The problems are lack of insulation, no double glazing, no central heating. South facing houses get few hours of direct sun and can be cold and damp. Standards are improving though, and you can either buy a 'better' house or improve on what you get by adding heat pumps, insulation etc.

There is also an issue with leaky houses - a particular construction method where they apply plaster to the outside, but the process in NZ leaks and rots causing fungus and dampness.

you could buy a section and build a new home, I think there are more building regulations in place now

I posted this elsewhere but I still find it a good list on what to look for in a house in NZ.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but due to NZ building standards (or lack thereof, har har) aspect, windows, and sunlight are all very very important things that you probably aren't used to thinking about when selecting a place to live. This means that the way the house is facing, how big the windows are (and what kind of covering they have), and where the windows are (and what type they are on the south side of the house) are going to have huge impacts on your comfort especially in the winter. I think ideally (if you can't have proper insulation and heating/windows) you want a big window/s on the north/NW side of the house-which are ideally the rooms that you live most in, lounge etc- with good day long sun--especially afternoon-- access (no blocking trees, hedges, fences, buildings) and a blackout/insulating curtain. You want less (to no) windows on the south side of the house with a insulating curtain and weatherstripping.

Quote Originally Posted by nickiware View Post
    you could buy a section and build a new home, I think there are more building regulations in place now
    ....which are still stupidly low.

In a nut shell Kiwi's build houses like they were located in the drier parts of Australia.......and they are not.

Quote from a mate last night 'Used to live in an unheated terrace house in Yorkshire....but I've never been so cold as living here'

I think it's mostly an age thing. The couple of houses we've owned have been post 1990 builds and both warm and dry; one with double glazing and the other without.

I think the leaky homes problem is pretty much the same as the 'timber framed houses' problem in the UK about 15 years ago; if the outer skin is porous or if the damp-proof membrane is punctured you get damp in the frame which rots it away leaving no house worth keeping!

Yes there are a lot of poor quality houses here, and the lack of insulation etc as others have said is a bit of a surprise. But it is possible to get a good quality house and if needed improve the insulation etc, but it will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I think it's mostly an age thing. The couple of houses we've owned have been post 1990 builds and both warm and dry; one with double glazing and the other without.

I think the leaky homes problem is pretty much the same as the 'timber framed houses' problem in the UK about 15 years ago; if the outer skin is porous or if the damp-proof membrane is punctured you get damp in the frame which rots it away leaving no house worth keeping!
    When people refer to the leaky homes problem they are talking about newer homes, post 1990 which are of poor design. Little or no soffit, built on concreate pads with not enough weep holes, and no cavity.
    As you say the outer skin lets water in, but for the above reasons it cannot get out or dry out. Pressure treated wood or not its still going to rot.

This may be helpful. http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publ...ting-leaks.php

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast