Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas log effect fire vs heatpump

Default gas log effect fire vs heatpump

in our front room we have a heat pump and a gas powered log burner looking thingy. we just powered it up and there is a built in 2 speed fan. no idea what make it is but it is flued and the ignitor controls are made by mertik. my questions are: how cheap are these to run and 2) would you use this over a heatpump? why would you have both in 1 room?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    why would you have both in 1 room?
    Cause it can get cold.

Other than sarcasm, I have no idea.

We had one of those gas heaters in an apartment we rented some time ago. They do soon warm the place up and I think people have them for the nice warm glowing effect, you just don't get from a heatpump.

I think gas is cheaper than electricity too. The heatpump can be used for cooling in the summer, so nice to have all options.
    Last edited by Ngeru; 25th July 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Interesting question!
    We have a gas fluved heater and it costs us £105 per larger bottle, and we have used 2 up so far this winter. But we have a nicely insulated north facing house so dont need to much heating.

I was under the impression that heat pumps were cheaper?

I like our gas fire as I like to stand in front of it as it warms me up... not quite the same standing under a heat pump.

We had gas fire in one of our rentals and ended up with $600 bill for ONE month. We have 2 heat pumps and our bills are $225 for a month for whole house being warm 24/7.

Check your meter for one hour with it on and work out how much it cost versus heat pump on for one hour.

We were chatting to Karls new boss yesterday when we went round - such nice people (I digress!!!) they were talking about heating as we are desperate to get our own place and move out of this motel!!!! They have a log burner to heat their home and there hot water is heated by gas. They also have some wall heaters in the bedrooms. They mentioned something which I think is important to remember here, and that is the powercuts. It was something I knew about but hadn't thought about when considering heating our new home. They said it is good to have some sort of heating that doesn't rely on electricity to run even if it's only as a back up. It is something we will seriously put in to place when we finally get our own place.

Cath XX

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    in our front room we have a heat pump and a gas powered log burner looking thingy.
    Don't know much about this pesonally, but my colleague just discovered the other day that what he thought was his heating (some gas fireplace thingy) wasn't for heating at all, and actually had a sticker on it saying 'for decorative purposes only', or something like that. They used quite a lot of gas with this, and have been 'heating' their house with this for a couple of years now before they discovered that.

But I couldn't tell you to tell a decorative gas fire from a proper heating system type fire.

Daniela

In theory the heatpump should be much cheaper to run because heat pumping is efficient and because gas is imported and electricity isn't.

To me gas always seems miles cheaper. We have one of those blown air gas heaters and it doesn't use much gas at all. Electricity's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    In theory the heatpump should be much cheaper to run because heat pumping is efficient and because gas is imported and electricity isn't.
    Not sur that all the gas is imported, think some comes form the Maui gas fields.

Some older heat pumps can struggle to heat a room if the temprature outside is very cold, so the gas fire could be used during these conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast