Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about proof of stable relationship

Default Worried about proof of stable relationship

Hello everyone!!

It looks like my hubby and I will be making our way to NZ around the beginning of October!!! YAY!!! I am in the process of gathering all the paperwork and information needed for my PR application once we get to NZ (hubby is a kiwi). I've been searching old posts to get ideas on what to do for proof of a stable relationship. We've been married nearly 4 years and have been together almost 7, so we are pretty darn stable!! But, I'm worried because we don't really have any joint bills besides our bank account. All I have are printouts of our statements because we've always received them electronically, so hopefully that will work. The utility bills and mortgage and all that are only in my hubby's name because he bought the house and all that before we were married. I have the car insurance and cell phone bills in my name. Should I go through the effort of having people write letters about us and our relationship? I can put together a bunch of photos, but most of ours are digital. Any other thoughts? I'm hoping it won't be too difficult and that if I send in enough stuff initially it won't delay our application. So anyway...just stressing out a little and thought it might help to commiserate. Thanks!!

I am also interested in people's responses. We never got around to having joint checking accounts in the U.S. (been married 1 1/2 yrs) and all we have in both our names were our rental agreements since we've been married, marriage certificate and car insurance.

I've heard that letters/documents sent to each individual at a shared address will help if you also have other information that proves relationship (marriage certificates, old wedding invitations). That is two separate bills with individual names on, then another thing with both names on that shows relationship.
    If either of you are covered by the other's medical insurance a medical insurance card (or certified copy) with both names on it will also do. We also got a letter from the bank stating how long we had had the account jointly.

If the bills for the cell phone and insurance went to the same address as the utility bills I would send them all in. We only had bank accounts in joint and all the bills were in separate names. I also sent in a variety of pics of us together.

But if you have bills to the same address and bank account statements back for one year I would think that's all they need (I sent in more than just that and they sent the rest back to me).

We submitted our marriage certificate, proof of joint accounts or investments made, photos, letters/bills addressed to us, letters from friends addressed to us, tenancy agreement.

We didn't submit much at all, just few pieces here and there because we both decided to trash all our bills/account statements when we moved to NZ and didn't know that we will need them for PR application!

Our application has been accepted and our original documents returned back to us within this week or the next. Well I haven't heard anything from them asking us for more proof of relationship... I hope they don't because we haven't got much to produce. Haha.

Thanks so much! Thanks to this website I heard that they would require additional items besides a marriage certificate, so thankfully I haven't thrown everything away just yet. (Getting ready to since we are selling the house) I don't think I could come up with many cards or letters sent to us at this address because I almost always throw away the envelopes right away. But I should be able to come with up some bills and things like that. Hopefully printouts will work because almost everything is sent to use electronically. I was thinking that I might get a letter from the pastor who did our pre-marital counseling to show support of our relationship. I'm sure I'll figure it out...just having a freak out moment. One of many to come I am sure. Thanks!!!

Getting a letter from your pastor wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGirl View Post
    But, I'm worried because we don't really have any joint bills besides our bank account.
    My husband and I had the same issue when we were applying for my residency. I posted a list of the documents I provided here which you might find useful.

How about a series of photos showing changing fashions over the years you've been together I only sent in photocopies of everything (wedding invitations etc, I'm really sad and keep them all) and ditto about the online banking, but I think that's fairly acceptable these days.
    On a similar note, do bring some car insurance docs, bills, payslips etc with you to NZ - makes things easier when sorting out your car insurance/utilities/finances etc. over here.

Thanks so much everyone!!! JoJo, I will take a look at that list. I really appreciate all the help, it makes feel better about it all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast