Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unusual fruit - FEIJOA

Default unusual fruit - FEIJOA

Last week we have a Kiwi friend who gave us a bag of small green fruits known as Feijoa. We have problem trying to pronounce it..........and it sounds like Fee-Chow-Were. ops:

We were told to cut the fruit into half and scoop the flesh out with a teaspoon. It had a unique taste. We were very curious about this fruit and we found a website to learn more about it : http://www.feijoa.org.nz/

Well, another interesting thing in NZ

We pronounced them fee-jo-a. Had them growing in the garden along with kiwi fruits. Mind you, we could have pronounced it wrong ... we are only poms after all. ops:

:P

I have difficulty knowing when they are in the right state to eat - I've had very hard ones and ones going a funny brown colour inside. And when I appear to get them just right I think that they have a not-completely-pleasant scented taste - reminds me of those little Parma Violets when I was a kid.

But a couple of weeks ago I bought a pot of Golden Kiwi fruit and Feijoa yoghurt to try, and I thought it tasted spot on.

Today, I learn from my neighbour that the best way to get this fruit ripe evenly is to put it next to the hot-water boiler and the taste will be good.

We have gas heating in our house - I wonder whether I could put it in the microwave to heat up :

reminds me of those little Parma Violets when I was a kid
    Parma Violets with a lemon hit!

THAT'S IT!!! Couldn't put my finger on it! And they have the texture of a pear too don't you think?

Bought some ripe ones to try so that I know when the ones on the tree in the garden are ready to pick

waiheke Island > CC > Queenstown > Hampshire UK >2005 ???

goes against healthy eating , but they taste much better with some sugar :smile

My only experience has been some feijoa vodka...which tasted like Deep Heat muscle ointment.

HEY ALL,
    I discovered 2 feijoa trees in my garden in full fruit over the weekend. Didn't know how to eat them - now I do!!!
    Have fig tree, lemon tree and grape vines too - mind you the blinkin birds have decimated the figs before they're even ripe.
    linda

We pronounced them fee-jo-a. Had them growing in the garden along with kiwi fruits. Mind you, we could have pronounced it wrong ... we are only poms after all.
    My Kiwi hubby pronounces it that way so I guess it must be right.

I found a wine making recipe for Feijoa 'champagne' once. I will hunt it out again and have a go at producing some of that !!!

Diny

delurking to say that we bought a bottle of Feijoa wine at a shop near Taupo/Huka Falls last year - it was meant to go home as a souvenir but it only made it as far as south island, yum! :smile

Here in California I've seen them in the farmer's markets once in awhile, usually called "pineapple guavas".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast