Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facilities at LAX

Default Facilities at LAX

I'm flying from London to NZ via LAX with OH and3 young kids in a few week premium economy with air NZ and just wonder if anyone has had any experience with this. I have read on this forum that here are showers in LAX, do you need us$ for these facilities at LAX and towels etc. as a shower half way through would be great?

David

Doesn't look like it - sorry! I flew threw LAX in 2001 and was very underwhelmed, but it may have changed.

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_information_faqs.php#q9

Does LAX have shower or exercise facilities I can use during a layover?

While LAX does not offer shower or exercise facilities, some gymnasiums are located near the airport. Check local phone listings to find more information. You will need ground transportation to visit one of these sites. In addition, many airport-area hotels offer discount rates for their exercise facilities. Airport-area hotels can be found at www.lawa.org/lax/laxframe.html. Once at that site, click on the Hotels tab on the left-hand side of the page. Then, when you get to the page listing all of the LAX-area hotels, you can click on any one of the hotel names for contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
    I have read on this forum that here are showers in LAX, do you need us$ for these facilities at LAX and towels etc. as a shower half way through would be great?
    David
    Several years ago, there was a "Skytel" inside the airport. Essentially, it was a (rather nice) hotel that rented by the hour. To keep out undesirable elements, they did not allow more than one person to a room, so if you were not traveling alone, you were far better off at a cheap motel outside of the airport. The Skytel proved unpopular, and closed shortly after opening.

Sophiedb's suggestion of finding a gym is a good one. You can even get a free week at 24 Hour Fitness: https://www.24hourfitness.com/PromoO...oCode=CLUBPASS (I'd recommend not showing up as a family of 4...and I'm not sure if the kids would even be allowed inside--maybe some 24 hour fitness members can chime in.)

Also, keep in mind that there is no luggage storage at LAX (or any US airports that I can think of); even if the airline will take your bags early, you will be dragging all your carry-ons around with you.

There are several nearby hotels for <$80 (US). You can probably get that down to <$60 using priceline or hotwire. Pretty expensive for a shower, I suppose.

I flew Air NZ via LAX just a month ago. Are you flying straight through, i.e. on NZ1 all the way? If so, then when you get off the plane in LAX you will have to go through security, then are taken to a transit room where you have to wait until you re-board your flight, so you don't have access to any of the facilities at LAX. The transit room has toilets, but no showers. They do provide you with tea, coffee, soft drinks, fruit, biscuits and crisps, and free wifi. And there is a titchy, tiny little stall for buying a very limited range of duty free which is opened for about 5 minutes.

As above, on NZ1 then you will get very little, but then you're only in there for an hour (after you've left the plane, then asked to reboard). Business class you can get to the showers, but even that's a lot of hassle for a short time.

Hi, I did the straight through flight with the kids last year and no showers as the others have said. A word of advice make sure the kids go to the loo just before you get off the plane as my 8 year old needed to go whilst in the queue and he had to go off with an airport official which he was not very happy about. Jo

Last time I was at LAX on the way to NZ (2007). They put us in a room with nothing but a vending machine. I hope you don't get that treatment. Maybe that was a temporary thing.

-Una

Thank you for your comments!

Yes we are flying straight through on NZ1. I was thinking of stopping for a few days to go to Disney and Getty but the kids would be too tired and it could end up being too much hassle. I was hoping that on prem economy that you might get similar facilities as business class.

Free wifi is a plus though!

Cheers

David

Hiya,

Thought you might find this link (taken from UK and Republic of Ireland AirNZ website) helpful:

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/befor...ing-via-la.htm

We are transiting on the NZ1 via LA in November ourselves and I am such a geek about it all I read everything months before I need to know it

But my OH has transited through LA in both ways (i.e. being in chicken coop room and having free reign in the airport) and he reckons that although the room is boring it's much less stressful than having to collect luggage and re-check in so swings and roundabouts I guess!

Hi

We flew from LAX to AKL a couple of weeks ago - the lounge can be used by premium economy and business class passangers (although not sure about those in transit might be worth while checking?) There is hardly any shops etc at the airport but there is a free shower in the lounge - if you can use it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast