Thread: I think OH has a broken toe. What do I do?

Default I think OH has a broken toe. What do I do?

So OH managed to smack his foot against the doorway as we were being evacuated for an emergency in our building last night.

Today the little toe on his foot is purple & kind of swollen. We're both here on 3 year work visas sponsored by my employer. I don't have any private health insurance here - so I am wondering what to do to get him treatment?

Also, is there really anything they can do for a broken toe? When I broke mine in HS - the doc just told me to keep it taped to the toe beside it and wear flip flops until it felt better.

Any advice as to where we should go, what we should do?

We're in Auckland Central. Help!

He's had an accident. You're entitled to treatment on the same basis as a resident (take your work permit along to show) and I think it should be free for A&E, or at any rate, very reasonable, so you don't have to guess or try to self-treat - toes are vital for your balance, and if you're unlucky, you can store up trouble for your old age. I wouldn't mess around, but go to a hospital accident and emergency department, or a clinic. http://yellow.co.nz/search/Auckland/...%7C%5B0-9%5DN0

Accident, ergo FREE under the ACC.

I'd go to a clinic, not A&E - as it's not really an emergency.
    Depending whereabouts you are in central Auckland (not sure which side of the city?), there is a White Cross on Ponsonby Road which is open until 10pm every day, also 24hrs at the Ascot Clinic. There is QuayMed on Beach Rd, although I think it closes at about lunchtime on Saturday and isn't open on Sundays, so that may not be any use.
    You'll be covered under ACC, although treatment isn't always free - it is subsidised.

Yeah, we were planning on going to the White Cross on Ponsonby. The place on Beach Rd is very close to us - if I'd known we could go there, I'd have dragged OH out of bed hours ago!

Highly likely they'll just buddy bandage it (have broken 3 fingers and a little toe, amongst others!), depending on the break but if it affects his work etc he can get a medical cert. and sometimes it's good just to have it on file that it happened if it gives him grief in the future.

Yeah, he doesn't have a job yet, we've just been here a month - but I'll keep the cert in mind for any future issues he might have. Off we go to the White Cross!

Buddy tape it, elevate, ice it 20 mins 4 times per day, Ibuprofen 800 mgs 3 times per day and keep it elevated. If in doubt amputate!!

You know, I think I had a hairline fracture in my big toe whilst at dance college. I did an overenthusiastic "releve" and for weeks afterwards I couldn't push off on that foot. Looking back now, I must have had a wee fracture!

Anyway, yes, healthcare will subsidised and there are clinics all over the city, there's even one on Queen Street, in one of the old bank buildings I think, more towards the waterfront end.

White Cross was excellent - got us right in, treated the break, and we were on our way. OH was joking that now he could just sit back for a week and enjoy me babying him.

I gave him the side-eye, and asked him just who he thought he'd married!!