Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used car

Default Buying a used car

We land in NZ in just over 6 weeks and one of the first things we have on our to-do list is to buy a car.

We will be buying a used car probably around the $8-10k price.

Does anyone out their have any tips or experiences related to buying a used car in NZ (ie things to avoid or look out for)?

I have bought a number of used cars in the US and I was just looking for tips that are specific to how things work in NZ.

Thanks

This has often been discussed on the forum before. Here are some old threads to give you some help. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...i=&safe=images

we are going to go to Turners Auctions, you could check out their website, nationwide

We'll be moving a day after you!! I have no advise, but I will be checking in on the answers you get as I have the same question.
    Good luck with your move!

make sure if you buy privately that you check there is no finance outstanding on the vehicle. get the car checked over by a reputable garage and always haggle. if buying from a dealer then just haggle!

And watch out because if they think you are a pomme just of the plane they assume you have lots of money to spend lol...

Not much different to car dealers anywhere in the world really

Quote Originally Posted by Tara Sage View Post
    And watch out because if they think you are a pomme just of the plane they assume you have lots of money to spend lol...

Not much different to car dealers anywhere in the world really
    or estate agents!

Best bit of advice I can give..................
    Buy my VW Gold GTI

Georgebulldog, just saw where you are fromI am in Thatcham just down the road from Tadley, you will be pleased to know middle of school holidays and it's pouring down

I wouldn't bother with Turners, the one in Chch is not really an auction house and more of a dealership that drives its cars past a small rather bored audience. You can easily go an hour or more without anything selling and most of the same cars will come round the next day and so on.

I reckon now is the time to buy from a dealer and to push a really hard deal. Some of these guys are starting to hurt and they need cashflow to pay the bills. I'd take 20% of their sticker price and call that my maximum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast