Thread: shipping electrical goods

Default shipping electrical goods

Is it worth shipping electrical goods from the UK? How do you use electricals in NZ? Just buy loads of plug adaptors/convertors? or can you get things rewired so they work in NZ sockets?

Quote Originally Posted by 1979vanessa View Post
    Is it worth shipping electrical goods from the UK? How do you use electricals in NZ? Just buy loads of plug adaptors/convertors? or can you get things rewired so they work in NZ sockets?
    Hiya Vanessa,
    We are taking our electrical goods with us and swapping plugs when we get there, or using adaptors.

There are some useful old threads about what will work and what won't, and how best to make the change. Using the Search button should bring them up.

We bought it all apart from the kettle, think it uses too much but can't be sure
    Our tumble drier needed an electrician to come in & put a new plug point in the garage so it could take the extra oomph it has but glad I did as condenser driers cost a fortune here & he charged about $50

We bought a few 4 gangs from Tescos & put on a NZ plug, we still use one or 2 for our BT phone, baby monitor & mobile phone charger otherwsie we are all changed

thanks everyone for the tips. I'm not actually bringing many large items, my washer/dryer is integrated so going nowhere, and the fridge/freezer is wedged in so tightly it may as well be integrated. But it will be handy to bring a few smaller items.

People have talked about buying new in the UK & shipping out as it could be cheaper but depends on if your renting or buying, then you have to think about warranties

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    People have talked about buying new in the UK & shipping out as it could be cheaper but depends on if your renting or buying, then you have to think about warranties

Also NZ customs may charge for new items, if the tax is above $50 dollars

I've edited my post above to get the link to the 'electrical' search results to work - hope it's a bit more use now.