Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: prohibited items

We're taking lots of cane, wicker, sea grass, raffia etc (baskets, furniture, hats etc). We're putting baskets and hats into baskets and lumping it all together as much as possible. The movers say they will let it all in but will probably just want to fumigate it which shouldn't cost too much at all. The stuff itself would cost hundreds to replace so it's coming with us.

With regards to meds - my husband regularly travels in and out of NZ with piles of his and has never had a problem.

Good to know, I think I'll be alright. Sounds like it'll be going in my carry-on. As far as packing lists go, how specific should they be? Do I need to include quantities and specify each individual item, or can it be a little more vague?

New question about prohibited items. I went to Israel about 10 years ago and brought home a shofar as a souvenir. It is a horn made from a sheep's horn. Will I be allowed to bring that in to NZ? I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for on the website. Thanks!

I would email biosecurity and ask- they're usually very helpful! (and save the reply and print it out so you can show it if they try to tell you different at the border).

info.biosecurity@maf.govt.nz

Oh! Good call, thanks a bunch!!

Has anyone shipped hair color products? I have my color and developer ready to be sent, but now I am wondering if it is allowed? Also, what about batteries? We have the batteries for my husband's power tools (Ryobi) packed with his tools and I want to make sure they are allowed as well. They are just like these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 Any thoughts?

The only things we lost to MAF were Christmas decs made of sprayed pine cones etc - straight in the bin!

I did loose several fishing rods worth about NZ$3000 and various other things that mysteriously "vanished" en route somewhere.

Also had huge issues with the insurance claim. Our insurer was in NZ, as were we. Our stuff was packed in the UK by MIL and had been in a safe (paid) storage facility while we were away (we intended to return) and the insurers tried to weasel out of paying for all the lost things, broken stuff, water damaged stuff etc because they claimed that we had not told them that the stuff was in storage before shipping.

Fortunately we had email between us and their broker which explicitly mentioned the fact that it was - and gave the address of the goods as "Safe Store Ltd"!

They backed down - and gave us $15,000 of the $28,000 we claimed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345