Thread: Apples

Default Apples

For the last few weeks we've been enjoying NZ here at home -- our favourite supermarket here has had organic NZ apples available (not sure about the variety, they'red red-dish in colour).

I couldn't help wondering how much does a kg of apples cost in NZ, New World, Countdown or similar?

PS. We did eat a lot of apples in NZ back this spring but I just don't remember how much they cost..

I no longer buy my fruit and veg at the supermarket, I go to the green grocers. I'm not an organic buyer either, so I just get a bag of apples. Usually we go for Royal Gala which cost $2.50-$2.99 a bag at the moment, which I think is around 1.5 kg. Last week they were buy 2 for $4. Fruit and vegetable prices vary considerably depending on the season. Kiwi fruit can go from 89c to $8.99 over the year.

Quote Originally Posted by petri View Post
    For the last few weeks we've been enjoying NZ here at home -- our favourite supermarket here has had organic NZ apples available (not sure about the variety, they'red red-dish in colour).

I couldn't help wondering how much does a kg of apples cost in NZ, New World, Countdown or similar?

PS. We did eat a lot of apples in NZ back this spring but I just don't remember how much they cost..
    From Woolworths website:-

fresh produce purefresh apples braeburn organic bag 1kg = $3.79

Seems a good match, if not then there are loads of options on their website that you could look at.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I no longer buy my fruit and veg at the supermarket, I go to the green grocers. I'm not an organic buyer either, so I just get a bag of apples. Usually we go for Royal Gala which cost $2.50-$2.99 a bag at the moment, which I think is around 1.5 kg. Last week they were buy 2 for $4. Fruit and vegetable prices vary considerably depending on the season. Kiwi fruit can go from 89c to $8.99 over the year.
    I totally agree we get all our fruit and veggies at local green grocers too as the difference in price to the supermarket is significant As for seasonal prices how expensive are peppers and cucumbers at the minute

Karenx

Apples and potatoes seem to be available at decent prices year round. Other things not so much. Things like tropical fruit, pineapples, bananas etc are of course fairly fixed. More seasonal things like eggplants are $14.99/kg at the greengrocer right now!

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    fresh produce purefresh apples braeburn organic bag 1kg = $3.79
    Ok. About what I was thinking.. these aren't the cheapest apples here either (the local variety is a bit different, very seasonal).

These cost 2.99 eur/kg, that's about $6.30 NZ.

At the moment our local green grocer has got a special on Royal Gala - 5kg for $5

But it does vary hugely, sometimes you get a 1 kg bag for around $3 or more.