Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musical Instruments - Where to buy in NZ?

Default Musical Instruments - Where to buy in NZ?

I'm trying to decide how much it would cost to replace some of my musical instruments. To do that, I need to find out where to buy them in NZ.

We'll be living in Nelson, but I'm also interested in buying instruments online.

What stores (including online) do you recommend for buying musical instruments (and other music-related electronics) there in NZ?

Thanks!

Musical instruments will probably be found more at local stores that don't necessarily have much of a web presence. Have a look on TradeMe as well as people may run stores through that. You can have a look on www.finda.co.nz (though I don't generally find it that helpful, there is a lot out of date/missing, it may give you an idea) for Nelson, but probably the best thing to do would be poke around once you arrive. Music related electronics...well I'd guess you could check places like Disk Smith, Harvey Norman, Norman Ross, Bond +Bond...and trademe. Some of those are location dependent though, and online purchasing ability may be limited.
    For an example, we are looking for a cheapy amplifier (to go with our excellent trademe purchased speakers) at the moment and haven't seen much in store that isn't attached to a larger package. I don't think that is necessarily NZ specific though as things like that have decreased in availability in the US as well (though in the US you can go into a Goodwill and have your pick of elderly electronics off the back wall, nothing quite the same here as people sell things via TradeMe). There does seem to be a trademe community of audiophiles, though we don't want something fancy so are having difficulty there as well.

I shop at Rock Shop in Wellington. they have a very good seletion and a good web site showing all their specials. http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/start.php

I am pretty sure they don't deliver but you could check I guess. Perhaps you could buy remotely if you paid for and arrnaged the shipping.

I bought a really nice fender acoustic/elec guitar from the Music Warehouse in Upper Hutt, along with an amp and akg Microphone.

http://www.themusicwarehouse.co.nz

Not sure if they would do S.I. deliveries though. Worth an ask I suppose.

Alternative suggestion:

You select what you want from a Wellington based shop on their web site....pay for it via remote EFTPOS....and I will collect it for you and bring in to Nelson....all you have to do is fund the ferry crossing.....I could do with a day out in beautiful Nelson!

There are a couple of good music shops in Nelson itself to browse in when you arrive.

Is it pretty easy to find guitars in Nelson? I have some inexpensive guitars which I'm guessing aren't worth shipping:

1) Ibanez StageStar (electric guitar) - $150 (USD)
    2) acoustic guitar (came with mandolin for $100 total)
    3) mandolin (came with the acoustic guitar)

As you can see, these are really cheap guitars, but they suit my basic needs. Do you think I'll be able to find replacements relatively easily in Nelson? Or is mail order (or driving to Christchurch) the way to go?

Try having a look at goodvibrations.co.nz. I've never been in the shop but they have loads of guitars in there. You could always mail them if the website's no use. Alternatively beggsmusic.co.nz or mrmusic.co.nz.

All are Nelson shops.

Thanks! I took at look at those web sites, and also trademe in Nelson and Christchurch. It seems like a guitar costs a bit more in NZ than in the US. Is a used guitar for under $150 NZD unheard of?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    Thanks! I took at look at those web sites, and also trademe in Nelson and Christchurch. It seems like a guitar costs a bit more in NZ than in the US. Is a used guitar for under $150 NZD unheard of?
    A previous thread had half a dozen washed jam jars for $15 and 20 pencils (used) for $10. I'm beginning to think that 'Used' in NZ is akin to 'antique' or 'already run in' and may even attract a premium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast