Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch butchers

Default Christchurch butchers

Can anyone tell me if there is a Mad Butcher in Christchurch? My mum-in-law is always going on about the this butchery in AKL and what good deals they have on - just wondered if there was something similar in Chch?

Thanks Wiggles

Spooky! Went past a "Mad Butcher" the other day so definitely is one in Chch... :P

Then a quick search on Google found this:

http://www.themadbutcher.co.nz/

And it lists 3 in Chch:

SHIRLEY Cnr Shirley and Hill Rd 03 386 0034
    RICCARTON 227 Blenheim Rd 03 348 7766
    NORTHCOTE Cnr Main North and Northcote Road 03 352 4444

Hi Moorf

Thanks for the reply. Keep this shop in mind - apparently they do great deals on all sorts of things. My Mum-in-law told me yesterday, that she had bought 1KG of skinless / boneless chicken breasts for $9.95 - great deal. 2 'chooks' for $9 - apparently he does really good steaks too! Probably worth a visit :mrgreen:

Cheers
    Wiggles

As a devoted carnivore I shall certainly drop by

So, Gravy Beef? What would that be, any ideas? Is it gravy or is it beef, could it be Stewing Steak, or old bones to stew up for stock?

It is like shin/chuck etc from some part of the animal that is tough..but if you pop it in the crockpot for 8 hrs it is really yum. Has a nice flavour...and not too fatty.

breats were $7.99 kilo last week at the mad. He had a chicken special...wings were $2.99 (a quid!!) a kilo...

Meat in the supermarkets is ultra dear..ie breasts are $17- $20 a kilo...so you can see how excited we all were in chch when we heard the mad butcher was coming down from the north island. At last we can eat meat!!

Nicky

Hi Ladies

Well am over the moon about the mad butcher. My MIL was actually going down to Chch next month and was going to check to see if a mad butcher was there. Can now tell her no need :mrgreen:
    $2.99 per kilo for chicken wings - lovely! My DH makes great sticky chicken wings - can't wait to get there and sling some on the barbie.

Now, the MIL also goes on about Vegie-world. Mini warehouse sized veg shop - everything under the sun. She just bought a massive 10kg bag of potatoes for $9.95. Is there anything like this in Chch?

Thanks for the replies - I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks
    Wiggles

Oops - just read Veronica's thread re fruit & veg. Is the Funky Pumpkin a cheap veg store then?

Yep, it is pretty cheap.
    Also marshalnds road has all the farms where they grow the stuff and you can buy direct from them..for even cheaper (sometimes..funky pumpkin is pretty good)
    i.e apples at pak n save $3.99 kilo in winter..59 cents in marshalnds road.

Potatoes are cheaper here at the mo (remember the north had all those floods in the summer/Autumn ..and they said then veg would be dearer up north now...) as low as $2.99 for 10 kg's..we have 7 in the family..so I know my potaotes!

Nic

Hi Nic

Thanks for that invaluable info. Can call the MIL off the case now I'll be doing some severe recce's when I get there. Especially with all the yummy food that Moorf was saying was available on the sushi thread ..... mmmm can't wait!

Wiggles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast