Thread: University fees with PR

Post University fees with PR

Hi,

I have been trawling through all the previous posts on university fees and I am totally confused. Most people seem to be saying that you don't have to pay international student fees if you have PR. However, according to Auckland University website, you need to have been resident in NZ for at least 2 years and have PR before you are counted as a domestic student.
    This could pose a big problem for us as our eldest daughter Grace, will be coming out as soon as she finishes her A levels in June 2010 and hopes to start uni in the following February. She will have PR but as she will only have been in the country for 7 months, will we have to pay international fees?
    Do the criteria for domestic or international status vary from one uni to another?

Does anybody have any experience of starting uni within their first year of arriving in NZ?

Thanks

Fiona

They must vary from one university to another as all the ones I've looked at in the Canterbury region I would be paying domestic fees.

At Massey as soon as you have PR you pay domestic student fees.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineyPeople View Post
    However, according to Auckland University website, you need to have been resident in NZ for at least 2 years and have PR before you are counted as a domestic student.
    Which university do you mean?

This is from the University of Auckland website:-
    Domestic vs international fees

The New Zealand Government subsidies the fees of domestic students, so they generally pay a lower rate than international students.

A domestic student is someone who is either a New Zealand citizen, a New Zealand or Australian permanent resident, or an Australian citizen resident in New Zealand.
    Out of interest, this is Victoria university version:
    Domestic student:
    A person who is a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau Islands, or a citizen of other countries who is resident in New Zealand as a consequence of assignment to a diplomatic or consular post, his or her spouse, and their immediate dependants.
    So it looks like for most it is just being a permanent resident?

Could you post a link to where you saw about being in the country for 2 years first?

Ian

Default Re: University Fees

What a relief! Thanks so much for your soothing words of advice. I had followed a link to the StudyLink site, the two year condition applies to student allowances not fees. I think I'm starting to panick about things that could possibly foil our plans.

Fiona