Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington - cheap self catering places to stay?

Default Wellington - cheap self catering places to stay?

Right - having booked our flights, I'm now on the search for somewhere cheap and reasonably cheerful to stay in Welly which will be self catering (I was shocked at how much some of the B&Bs were charging!), but in a good location for getting into and out of the CBD (whether walking or using public transport). We won't be having a car, but will be needing to get about for all those interviews which we're hoping to have

Does anyone have places that they can recommend?

I'm pretty sure a number of people have used Quest apartments. Also depends what your definition of cheap is.

http://www.questapartments.co.nz/

Hmmm - they are still quite a way out of my budget range (the only one I could book was $900 for the week!)

I was hoping for something more in the $500 range or even less - we are only going to be transferring out $11,000 initially (expecting to be able to transfer another $11,000 in last month's wages, rent deposit etc later)

Am I being a bit naive on how much I'd be spending?

It's a bit scary that even self catering one-room places seem to cost double what we could pay in rent (but having had some incredibly bad experiences of renting in the UK where we've had to jump in and take properties at short notice and then regretted it afterwards, I wanted to give us a bit more time to make sure we were getting a good place...)

Hi Toonster,

check out the "Specials" section on Quest webpages. For example the Quest on Willis offers a special rate if you stay for 14 nights or more http://www.questonwillis.co.nz/index...age.12227.html

When we searched for a hotel for our recce trip, I remember seeing same sort of deals on different hotels' webpages as well. Try the hotels' own webpages, I don't think they advertise these deals anywhere else. HTH

Mgee

Quote Originally Posted by Toonster View Post
    Right - having booked our flights, I'm now on the search for somewhere cheap and reasonably cheerful to stay in Welly which will be self catering (I was shocked at how much some of the B&Bs were charging!), but in a good location for getting into and out of the CBD (whether walking or using public transport). We won't be having a car, but will be needing to get about for all those interviews which we're hoping to have

Does anyone have places that they can recommend?
    Don't have any specific recommendations but you could try...

wotif.com, bookabach or holidayhomes for some cheap deals.

Also note that Wellington has a pretty good public transport system so you could easily stay in the surrounding areas (which will be cheaper) and get into the CBD without any problems.

Ian

Hi Toonster,

I am not sure how "flexible" you are, but have you thought about staying in a Backpacker? They usually have some rooms with ensuite, which would give you privacy, they are cheap and should be in a central location, you can make your own meals etc. or have breakfast at the Backpacker and go out for a meal.

I guess if we had to do it all over again and if it was only the two of us, it would definitely be an option for me.

Having said that, when we first arrived (Dunedin), we stayed in a Holiday Park and had a cabin with bathroom and kitchen for a reasonable price. I don't know if there are any options like that in Wellington, but it might be worth a look.

How long a period are you talking about? Can you start looking for a rental house/apartment?

I've stayed in several backpackers and been very pelased with almost all of them. My OH had never stayed in one before and didn't want to. So when I booked us into one (in Christchurch) I didn't tell him that's what it was.

Then, when he raved about the cheap hotel, impressed with the corner room with views from two big windows, nice en-suite, sky TV, swimming pool, but also kitchens where you could cook for yourself and laundry. So I told him, 'it's a backpackers'.

Hi all - thanks for all the ideas! :-)

After a lot of digging and price comparison, we've gone for the Top10 park in Lower Hutt (bus stop is 5 mins walk away) - our Top10 card is still valid from our holiday last year, which means that we have a 10% discount, and we've got ourself a two person cabin - currently for four days, but we know that we should be able to extend that if we need it.

Thanks all, we are also moving to Wellington.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast