Thread: Primary schools Wellington area

Default Primary schools Wellington area

Hello,
    Having just sent off the signed contract for my husband's new job in Wellington to begin Feb 2010 I had better get organised! Our daughter is 8 and will be 9 in March 2010. Can anyone tell me what year she will be in? If anyone has any advice about primary schools in the Wellington area and how we can prepare her for the transition that would be much appreciated. Are there any big differences between UK and New Zealand primary schools? We don't know yet where we will be living, we are envisaging coming and looking at houses to buy once we get there (and have sold our house here!!) The main problem I see is that we will be living in temporary accommodation but then will probably be buying in a different area so won't know where to send her to school when we arrive. As we live very rurally here and have 2 big dogs I can't imagine that we will be living in the centre of Wellington!
    Any help and advice much appreciated!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Our daughter is 8 and will be 9 in March 2010. Can anyone tell me what year she will be in? If anyone has any advice about primary schools in the Wellington area and how we can prepare her for the transition that would be much appreciated.
    Do you know where your OH will be working, how far they want to commute, how to do the commute e.g. by car, train etc. Maybe you can say what you would ideally be looking for and then we can offer some suggestions as Wellington region is very large and diverse.

As far as schools go, your daughter should start year 4 in February but there is normally some flexibility so its possible to be up or down a year.

You could try ERO and School Zones to get you started on schools in the area.

Ian

Thanks for the information regarding year 4, that is what she has just entered this week in Scotland. My husband is going to be working at the university, we don't really know yet where we want to live,just depends on finding a nice house to buy. Ideally with a little bit of land and hopefully with not too much of a commute for him (or me if and when I get a job). I will have a look at those links, thank you very much.

Hi, my son was 9 in the March when we arrived and he went into year 5. I think it depends on the school. He is at Wadestown School which is very nice and goes up to year 8. Wadestown is quite near the centre and the University. Very easy commute.

Hi there,

Hmmm two big dogs, OH at the Uni and primary school aged kids….

….may I suggest Karori. It is on the right side for uni, has access to some walking for the dogs and the primary schools are supposed to be excellent. It’s a biggish suburb and has rentals as well as houses to buy. Karori Normal school is supposed to be excellent.

The suburb has some very nice houses, and good local shopping, and is wlaking distance to the uni (well sort of)

The downsides are that it is supposed to have it’s own micro climate which is somewhat cloudy and misty in winter so make sure you get a house that is insulated, has heating and is in a sunny position. In summer it’s supposed to be gorgeous.

…of course there are other suburbs but from what you are looking for it’s about perfect. By the way I don’t live there or own a rental 

Primary schools are VERY different here but very welcoming. Has someone explained the decile system and ‘donations’? If not just ask.

Hello everyone,
    Thanks for all this helpful information! Much appreciated, just got to get on with the paperwork for actually getting to NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Thanks for the information regarding year 4, that is what she has just entered this week in Scotland. My husband is going to be working at the university, we don't really know yet where we want to live,just depends on finding a nice house to buy. Ideally with a little bit of land and hopefully with not too much of a commute for him (or me if and when I get a job). I will have a look at those links, thank you very much.
    Which Uni and which campus?

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Which Uni and which campus?
    Actually - good point - I sortof assume Vic in Kelburn but it could be Massey on Taranaki or Vic in the city.

That shows how little organisation I have done, thinking there was only one... I mean Victoria. Funny how it is my husband's job and I am doing all the organisation. I suppose he did the hard work getting the job in the first place!

If it is Vic, the main campuses in Kelburn, Karori, Pipitea.

www.vuw.ac.nz

Is your husband a lecturer? What is his subject (this would determine the campus eg Law at Pipitea, Education at Karori, etc)

If you want to know anything about Vic University, PM me as I work there