Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Vonage in NZ??

Default Anyone use Vonage in NZ??

Does anyone out there use Vonage to make calls back to the US or anywhere else for that matter?

It is basically a VoiP phone that you can call and receive phone calls from that works over your broadband internet.

I have used it in the past and it works great. Especially if your family is in the US as they can call you just like they would a local US number as the Vonage phone has a US phone number attached to it so people can call you.

They have just recently changed their international plan and it now has all international calls included free in the $25 USD a month plan.

I was thinking that since all international calls are free now under this plan you could pretty much use this as a home phone to make calls in NZ, and to call home with - where ever that may be. The phone has a US number so it would be hard for people in NZ or other international locations to call you but it would be great for you to call out with anywhere in the world.

This is a question I've been pondering for a while. Between my work and home, I have three Vonage lines. Not that I never have any complaints regarding their service. But still I find vonage to be good value. If you could find an adapter to suit NZ voltage and outlet, I don't think there'd be a problem. I may be wrong, but I hear its where the adapter is located that matters.

It works fine here. I used to use it. I use skype now though as it costs less for me. You can get a phone with skype that does not require linkage with a computer, it connects directly to your router.

We use skype personally (but with their current potential issues have been considering other options if we need to). After our current home line contract is up we'll be buying a NZ phone number for $50-60 USD per year and keeping a mobile for emergency calls. I think they also have international/one country calling plans for a small fee per month as well. You can buy a local number in any number of countries and have it forwarded or just answer via computer. We looked at buying a US number so our families could call us, but we call them mostly as they get too confused by the time zone thing

I will have to look more into Skype and see which would be better for our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    We use skype personally (but with their current potential issues have been considering other options if we need to).
    Can you describe in details what these potential issues are? In my experience, while Skype-to-Skype calls are great, I find SkypeOut rather unreliable. Quite often the person on the other end couldn't hear me, or vice versa, or the connection cannot be established. These problems exhibit in both Vodafone Mobile Broadband as well as TelstraClear cable internet, and doesn't matter if I'm connected to my modem via a router (both wired or wireless), or directly to the modem. I'm in Christchurch Central (Richmond).

As a sort of "back-up", I have the Compass calling card service V8 as well as Kia Ora, and they too suffer from the above problems (and they don't require a PC, just a regular phone or mobile).

I'm in search for a reliable VoIP service and would like to know what everyone else is using too. From postings on Geekzone.co.nz it seems "2talk" (I think they were formerly CallPlus or is somehow related to the company) is rather reliable, and they're quite reasonable in cost so it might be something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Can you describe in details what these potential issues are?
    Here's an article. http://www.gizmag.com/skype-joltid-l...ut-down/12390/ I do like skype and find it a good service, but there are issues unrelated to performance that I am concerned about. Hopefully the parties can work through it.

I also use SkypeOut with Vodafone broadband from the Riccarton area and have rarely had any issues with it
    Last edited by BkyMonster; 22nd August 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    Here's an article. http://www.gizmag.com/skype-joltid-l...ut-down/12390/ I do like skype and find it a good service, but there are issues unrelated to performance that I am concerned about. Hopefully the parties can work through it.
    This is very interesting... I never knew you can sell a piece of software for $2.6bil and end up in a situation where someone else determines whether or not your software works. Thanks for the link.

I'm actually rather concern about Skype's peer-to-peer connectivity as well. I know I've had Skype route data through my connection more than once when I noticed a steady uplink but I've got no other programs uploading stuff. The uplink disappears the moment I shut down Skype in all those instances.

Been here one year and brought the Vonage with us, absolutely brilliant and no issues with quality or delay as yet, well worth the money and the added featured make it great value including voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    I'm in search for a reliable VoIP service and would like to know what everyone else is using too. From postings on Geekzone.co.nz it seems "2talk" (I think they were formerly CallPlus or is somehow related to the company) is rather reliable, and they're quite reasonable in cost so it might be something to look at.
    I've set-up a few 2talk "lines" and they have always worked a treat. Sometimes a bit difficult to get hold of support in the company, but since the lines seem to work so well I've never really have a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast