Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Default Fire Extinguishers

Hi,

Does anyone know whether or not fire extinguishers can be taken in a shipping container?

We've got a few large (and expensive) ones containing water and some sort of additive so that it can be used on pretty much any sort of fire.

The removers seem dubious about whether or not they can go.

Thanks,
    Steve

ours got packed. i assume it was ok to pack or the packer who packed it didn't know any better.

laurel

Ordinarily anything contained in a cylinder poses a fire risk, but the contents of a fire extinguisher aren't flammable unless there is some sort of compressed gas inside so you should be OK.

Hi,

Just to confirm - Fire extinguishers cannot, according to our shippers, be packed.

Our very expensive ones have now been left behind and I'll have to try and ebay them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by collinssteve View Post
    Hi,

Just to confirm - Fire extinguishers cannot, according to our shippers, be packed.

Our very expensive ones have now been left behind and I'll have to try and ebay them or something.
    Never trust the shippers...

If you look in the Ozone Layer protection regulations 1996 (as amended 2007) you will see in Annex D that portable fire extinguishers are indeed controlled substances with regard to being imported into NZ

However, there is a note attached...
    **Though not when transported in consignments of personal or household effects or in similar noncommercial situations normally exempted from customs attention.
    So it would appear that you could have shipped your fire extinguishers.

Ian

They absolutely, flatly refused to take them so there wasn't much I could do :-(

Default What about lawn mowers?

We have a lawn mower which I do not want to leave behind. It runs on fuel. If I take the oil and the petrol out, will they allow me to put it in the container??

They allowed our mower, strimmer, chainsaw and various other garden tools.

I drained the fuel out of them but didn't bother draining the oil out of the 4-stroke engines (too much like hard work).

I did, however, spend hours cleaning each one with a high-pressure water cleaner, then an air compressor, then jayes fluid so that all were as perfect as could be. It remains to be seen whether or not this was a waste of time!!