Thread: driver's license

Default driver's license

Hi all!

I came here last year (july 08) on a visitor's permit, converted it to a 12 month work permit using my ex-boyfriends student visa (he was a PhD student), and just got PR a few weeks ago. I don't have a car so I haven't needed to convert my US license over, but i just found out i have to do some driving for work in the next month or two. I actually just got my US license renewed using a relative's address, so I could use it when i'm back home and so i don't have to re-take any tests later.

On the website about NZ driver's licenses, it says that:

Yes – I do have a current overseas driver licence or international driving permit

If you do have a current and valid overseas driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand.

Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on your overseas licence or international driving permit.

i just got back from a trip to the US, does that mean that I have another 12 months? or does the 12 months start from when I got PR? or my 12 month work permit??

Quote Originally Posted by ers99w View Post
    If you do have a current and valid overseas driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand.

Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on your overseas licence or international driving permit.
    It's like it says on the tin, each time you leave NZ the 'counter' resets, so you have 12 months from when you arrived in NZ this time.

Ian

It should be noted that you can also convert your US licence to an NZ licence without having to sit any tests. You just need to prove that you have had your US licence for more than 2 years.

If you have car insurance then you should let them know that you are driving on a US licence and not an NZ one - some companies may make you pay a larger premium, others make you pay a larger excess if you have an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    It should be noted that you can also convert your US licence to an NZ licence without having to sit any tests. You just need to prove that you have had your US licence for more than 2 years.

If you have car insurance then you should let them know that you are driving on a US licence and not an NZ one - some companies may make you pay a larger premium, others make you pay a larger excess if you have an accident.
    Just the eye sight test.

Default DL

If you have had your license renewed in the past year they won't accept that. They go on the date on the license... You have to write to your state and get a copy of your past licenses to show that you have had a license for over two years. At least I did b/c I had just renewed mine before coming over. Didn't matter if it had a big R stamped on it for renewal. FYI