Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake safe bits & bobs!

Default Earthquake safe bits & bobs!

I was just doing a search for some quake putty as we are about to move to S Island from Auckland, where there is a greater risk of a large earthquake, and there are not all that many places to buy the stuff (blue-tac no good as it marks wooden furniture). I can across some websites than might be useful to others.....

http://www.seismicrestraints.co.nz/d...Hospital%2FLab

http://www.conservationsupplies.co.n...gories/53.html

A lot of the products/items for sale are the same ones available on Amazon.com, but amazon won't ship them outside the US.

How many of you have already made your house quake safe, and what did you use?

Well after todays shake in Wellington, maybe these are worth investigating

BUMP! Thought after our recent earthquake experience this might come in useful to some other people

I ordered some quake putty from one of the shops earlier for our ornaments and hubby's wine glass collection, and I must say I am disappointed with the stuff. It is less oily and does look nicer than regular blu-tack as it's white, but it's far less sticky than blu-tack. Blu-tack actually sticks better to the surfaces and to the ornaments as well, and seems to have better hold too. I'd recommend using just regular blu-tack on non-porous surfaces (shelves, glass etc) and quake putty for particularly sensitive surfaces and objects when you're concerned about stains that regular blu-tack might leave.

Have you tried the museum wax or putty? It is either clear jelly-like or white and is more adhesive than the putty.

Another idea too....those 3M adhesive poster stips for walls also work well at attaching objects you don't want to move a lot to non-pourous surfaces...just leave the removal pull tab sticking out of the back where you can't see it.
    Last edited by Familyofmonkeys; 14th October 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post

A lot of the products/items for sale are the same ones available on Amazon.com, but amazon won't ship them outside the US.
    I'm using a company called MyUS to ship a lot of stuff from the US. I've found that is way cheaper to by baby stuff from Amazon, even considering the shipping plus customs than to buy here in NZ.

The deliver via UPS or DHL and my purchases arrive here in less than 5 days.

emaino, are you in Rio or Nz.

Wellington, actually... I forgot to change that detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Have you tried the museum wax or putty? It is either clear jelly-like or white and is more adhesive than the putty.
    We need to be able to use the wine glasses as well... , so the gel isn't really a good option as it's more permanent than the putty. But I've used blu-tack where staining isn't a problem and the quakehold putty elsewhere. I'll probably try the Museum Putty brand if I need more in the future.

"A lot of the products/items for sale are the same ones available on Amazon.com, but amazon won't ship them outside the US."

I had a book shipped to Australia from Amazon a couple of months ago. Friends in Europe tell me they have books shipped there as well. Perhaps they make an exception for books because of less or no hassle as to customs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast