Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rental references

We didn't have a problem with references- although the agent we used to rent our home in the in the UK offered to give us one, he was never approached. I think the agents judge you on sight and perhaps check your employment in NZ to see if you can pay the rent. Of course, being able to pay the rent, and actually paying it are often two different things!

Ray White are a national company but they are franchises so your experience will vary from branch to branch. Let's just say, haivng taken over the management of a fair few of their properties, the particular branch I dealt with are a nightmare!

As for references, you didn't hear this from me but how are they going to know the name you put down is or isn't a previous landlord of yours

I'm pretty sure a lot of people fake references so I would just go with someone that knows you and forewarn them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979vanessa View Post
    thanks! The agent I spoke to was Ray White and I understand they are a nationwide company, maybe things might be more leniant with a more local agent?

I did have a friend live with me for a while, maybe she would be a good person to ask for a reference?
    Our first rental was with Ray White......and they were just the same. In the end we just showed them a copy of our house sale documentation so they could see we had the money to pay the rent, and we got an employment reference from OH boss and they had to accept that.

Sorry, I've only just read this thread.
    When we moved into our first rental, the lady from the holiday let/motel where we spent the first 10 days wrote a reference for us, and the landlord said she'd given us an excellent write up. Would that be a possibility for you?
    Shona

You could also ask the agent who handled your house sale to write you a reference. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    I guess that it all may have changed, but when we rented our first property in NZ, we weren't asked for any references and we didn't provide any either and it wasn't a problem. So it is (or at least was) possible to rent without having references.

I would try a different estate agent if they won't budge on this, or ask them what they accept from those people who have never rented before (after all, even kiwis would need to rent for the first time at some point).

Ian
    We have just secured a rental in Christchurch after being home owners in the US for the last 8 years (and selling our house prior to our move). We did not have any references but they did confirm my employment and asked us to provide them with a bank statement to show that we had sufficient funds to rent.

The agent who helped us said that with people from overseas, she usually just checks these things, pointing out that it would be a bit unreasonable to try and track down an old landlord in the UK or US or to do a "credit check" per se.

HTH
    Last edited by carahafner; 21st September 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12