Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with residence application form NZIS 1000 (Partnership Category)

Default Help needed with residence application form NZIS 1000 (Partnership Category)

Hi everyone,

I am intending to migrate to New Zealand with my Kiwi-partner under the Family (Partnership) Category towards the end of the year from within New Zealand (will be on a WHV beforehand).

So I am already organizing all the documents I need for the application and also worked my way throught the residence application form (NZIS 1000), the self-assessment guide (NZIS 1003) and the application guide (NZIS 1002).

However, I could not find some information that would clarify the one or the other problem I have.

So I hope you might be able to help me out here a bit or at least point me in the right direction.

=============
    QUESTIONS REGARDING RESIDENCE APPLICATION FORM NZIS 1000
    (The form can be found here.)

• A28 asks "Is your partner included in your application?"
    What shall I answer here? I filled in all my partners details in A19 to A27 (as aked for in Section C), but my partner is a Kiwi - so do I need to include her or not?

• A85 asks "Do you or any of your accompanying family members have a National ID number, or other unique identifier that was issued to you by any government?"

What is meant by that? Is it referring to my national ID card and its respective number? What kind of unique identifier could otherwise be meant?

• A91 asks "List the countries you and/or your family have lived in for
      12 months or more in the last 10 years, with the dates
      you began and ended living there. If you do not know the
      exact dates you began and ended living in a country, give
      approximate dates. Please include your home country."

I have used 2/4 spaces for myself. Thus 2 more would be free - shall I use them for my partner? I guess given the statement "The following questions apply to every person included in
    this application 17 years of age and over." this depends wether or not I should include her in the application (see A28 above), but I also read that she will have to provide police certificates anyway for her stays abroad. So do I list her here or not?

• B1-B13 are related to "Residence from Work Category"

Will I have to fill any of them out? While some do not seem to make sense to me in regards of my application, some actually could be filled out by me. So do I just leave the whole section untouched or do I have to fill some of it out?

• C9 asks a)"Is your partner a New Zealand citizen?", b)"Does your partner hold a New Zealand residence permit?", c)"Does your partner hold a current New Zealand returning resident’s visa?" and d)"Does your partner hold a valid Australian passport?"

While a) is a YES and d) is a NO - do I leave b) & c) empty or do I need to choose one of the options YES/NO? Which one is applicable for a New Zealander?

• C10-C17 is about parents/children sponsors.

Given that I do not have children and also my parents will have nothing to do with the sponsorship of my visa - will I have to answer any of these questions or leave them blank again?

• Section D-F refers to refugee or pacific islanders.

Do I again just ignore this part? Or shall I tick boxes in any case (ie. NO)?

==========
    Well that would be all my questions regarding NZIS 1000 for now - I hope they don't come across as too much of an avalanche ;-)

I am very greatful for any help with these questions and appreciate your time and effort on that.

Thank you and have a great day,
    Antonio

"Is your partner included in your application?"
    This question wasn't on the form when my OH applied, but I would probably say no, as your partner is not 'included' (as in applying for residence), someone else might have a better idea on this though!

"Do you or any of your accompanying family members have a National ID number, or other unique identifier that was issued to you by any government?"
    My OH just put in his NZ IRD number. If you do have a national ID card number, put this in.

A91 asks "List the countries you and/or your family have lived in for

I think you just have to put the countries you have been in here. There is a question on the sponsorship form relating to the sponsor providing police certificates.

B1-B13 are related to "Residence from Work Category"
    You only have to fill in the section which relates to you, which is section C. "You must provide ALL the information requested for the category you are applying under"

C9 asks a)"Is your partner a New Zealand citizen?", b)"Does your partner hold a New Zealand residence permit?", c)"Does your partner hold a current New Zealand returning resident’s visa?" and d)"Does your partner hold a valid Australian passport?"
    Just answer yes or no as appropriate - so I assume this would be yes to citizen and no to all others

Is there any reason you're holding off till you get here to apply? The processing time while you're in NZ is MUCH longer than if you are overseas (about 9 months vs 1-2 months), so if you have time I would recommend applying first.

HTH

Hi jeffanar,

Thank you ao much for your help. I really appreciate getting some feedback on my concerns. Sometimes its just reassuring hearing a second opinion on things.

The reason I am waiting with my application was based on multiple reasons. One was being able to pick and choose the date to actually go to NZ, as we have to stick to certain dates (also for visa reasons of my partner here in Europe). Waiting for immigration to give greenlight would have been to restricting for us at this stage. Second, I would like to have a proper look around first before make a definite decision - thus I am going on a WHV first.

But out of interest, what is your experience (9 month) based on? That's really quite a long time, especially in case I really want to stay and get a job.

You're welcome

My OH was in NZ on a WHV, applied for his residency in (I think) October last year, and got the approval letter in July.

He also applied for a work permit as his WHV expired in that time, this came a lot quicker and is pretty easy to do if you do it at the same time as applying for residency (you just have to filll in the application forms as you already have all the evidence etc. for the residency application) but it's an extra cost, especially if you are planning on leaving the country within that time as you have to apply for the visa as well as the permit.

If you don't want to have to do that then you will have to get your residency application in pretty soon after you arrive so hopefully you will get approved before your WHV expires

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    You're welcome

If you don't want to have to do that then you will have to get your residency application in pretty soon after you arrive so hopefully you will get approved before your WHV expires
    Thanks again! 9 month is indeed a long time for something like that.
    But regarding your comment (see quote) - do I not get a bridging visa in case their process runs longer than my current visa? At least that was the case in Australia for those of my friends applying there for residency, while their current visa was about to expire.

I think that's an Australian only thing - here you have to apply separately for a visa to make sure you are covered for the duration of the processing time, and the easiest one in your situation will be a partner sponsored work permit (and visa if you're going to leave the country)

When I spoke to NZIS last year they told me that as long as I had an application in, if my previous permit ran out I was entitled to stay until a decision was made on my new permit (I was going from 3 month visitor permit to 12 month partner sponsored work permit, they told me 9-12 months, took about a month iirc), but that I would be under basically visitor permit restrictions, i.e. no working, for the duration of the time one permit ran out and the other came into effect.

Thanks for the answers. I guess BkyMonsters point seems logical - even though I will have to double check that with Immigration - but if they could just kick you out of the country by prolonging your visa decision, they would be able to get rid of a lot more people just by stalling. So a bridge visa should be a normal thing to get.

I will be on a 12-month WHV in NZ when I arrive - what would be the advantage of getting a partner sponsored workpermit for me? A company most likely would still not offer me a permanent employment, right? So in that case I may as well just focus on the partner sponsored PR as it looks to me that I would not be improving my employability.

I applied through partnership a while ago but this may/may not help.

Quote Originally Posted by avil4723 View Post

=============
    QUESTIONS REGARDING RESIDENCE APPLICATION FORM NZIS 1000
    (The form can be found here.)

• A28 asks "Is your partner included in your application?"
    I put no for my Kiwi OH.

• A85 asks "Do you or any of your accompanying family members have a National ID number, or other unique identifier that was issued to you by any government?"

I put my National Insurance number

• A91 asks "List the countries you and/or your family have lived in for

I just put my countries - or in my case country

• B1-B13 are related to "Residence from Work Category"

Don't remember doing anything in this section (it may be new but my assumption would be that because you're applying through partnership you won't need to

• C9 asks a)"Is your partner a New Zealand citizen?", b)"Does your partner hold a New Zealand residence permit?", c)"Does your partner hold a current New Zealand returning resident’s visa?" and d)"Does your partner hold a valid Australian passport?"

I put a) yes b) no c) no - because he's a NZ passport holder and therefore those two don't apply. I guess you could just as easily leave them blank.

• C10-C17 is about parents/children sponsors.

Without looking at my form I can't comment. But on my form I did put my mum and brother on it somewhere (I think it's something to do with recording them in case they apply for residence in the future - someone else will know better than

• Section D-F refers to refugee or pacific islanders.

I ignored those questions.

Thank you napiers for your answers.

How long did the whole thing take for you? Did you aplly from within NZ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast