Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping a dog from South Africa

We found that the pet transporters from the US only charged a reasonable fee ($400 USD for 2 dogs) on top of other fees we would have needed to pay anyhow (official inspections and pre-boarding vet checks, freight fees etc etc). You don't have to use a pet transporter coming from the US, but there's a lot of minutiae necessary for NZ to approve entry of the animal, and I felt $400 was a decent price to pay for not having to learn about how to arrange a USDA inspection and hang out at LAX cargo area.
    Do you know what those fees are for you and how much you would save doing it yourself?
    Our shipper cost for 2 dogs (about 40kg of dog altogether not including crates) was around $2500 USD with a further umm $3000 or so NZD for quarantine (in the same kennel). There was also another 1-1500 USD in vet fees and tests.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    erm. According to the link for animals coming from Europe that I posted above (which includes Germany) your dog would still need to be quarantined for 30 days in a quarantine facility.

from:http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...maniic.spe.htm bolding mine
    Crap. Okay, thank you for telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    Do you know what those fees are for you and how much you would save doing it yourself?
    From what I gathered, the fees sum up to about R6.000, that includes vet costs in South Africa (quite a difference to what a pet transporter would charge us).

In 2006 we shipped a dog and 2 cats from Jhb to Wellington. Total cost including Sa Vet fees, shipping charges and 4 months quarantine at Shado-lans (excellent by the way) came to $17000-00. About 85000 ZAR. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

The Shado-Lans facility is propably the best of all of them in NZ and the animals are really well looked after. The pet shipper we used was based in Kempton Park but for the life of me I cannot remember there name. Will come to me sometime I'm sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12